Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Keypad doorlock with double deadbolt?

I'm looking for a double deadbolt door lock with a keypad so that I dont have to worry about forgetting my keys. My door has a window on either side, so the double deadbolt is required. So far I have only been able to find single deadbolts with keypad entry.

amfrick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 8

For egress reasons, Single Cylinder Deadbolt locks are being required as the norm.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

Well they why do they even have double deadbolts? For me, a strategically place key near the door is sufficient...i.e. leave the key in the deadbolt when you're home, and hang it up somewhere out of reach of the windows when you leave or go to bed.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 8

Because there has not been a large enough effort to stop the use of them. As for hanging up the key out of reach from the windows, try finding it during a fire, when your adrenaline is increased, and you are having a panic attack, while trying to use that only form of egress, due to the rest of your exits are blocked by fire.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

I understand that concern fully, and I feel that I personally could handle it, but I also know that a lot of people probably couldnt.

What am I to do in this situation? Just buy a single cylinder and hope that nobody breaks the window and lets themselves in? I certainly cant afford to replace the entire door/double-sidelight window assembly. Do they even make a replacement door assembly that fits into that size opening (door+sidelight on each side) but doesnt have windows?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

Unless you install bars on all you windows in the whole house if they want to come in there coming in.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

But the more I can do to discourage them the better. If I were breaking in, I would definitely try breaking the small pane in the door sidelight, reach through, and unlock the door. Thats going to be quietest, and safest method of entry. Wont have to crawl through broken glass or risk trying to climb over pricker bushes just to break another window.

I honestly wish the sidelights weren't there.