Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Just got a quote for Andersen SilverLine Windows..

What do you guys think of this quote for Andersen SilverLine Windows? This includes labor and it is after tax. The contractor said this includes discounts as well.

The house has 16 windows and a sliding door.

1. 72x48
2. 96x48
3. 46x43
4.72x48
5. 72x24
6. 96x80 (Atrium Sliding Door)
7. 72x48
8. 60x48
9. 36x48
10. 36x48
11. 47x48
12. 72x18
13. 24x36
14. 72x42
15. 48x16
16. 72x42
17. 72x42

The quote is $14k (after taxes and discounts).

What do you guys think? Is the quote fair?

Thanks in advance!

majestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Aren't you the contractor?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

No, I'm a consumer.. my parents just finished with the wood flooring, and now they want to work on the windows.. the contractor said Andersen windows are the top of the line.. I did a little research and found out this to be true.. but I don't know about their SilverLine series. we have about 6 small windows.. and wonder if this is a fair quote..

Last edited by majestique; 05-12-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #4

Just a consideration, I bought silverline windows through a family friend from Century Building Supply out of Sycamore, IL. I went with their new construction vinyl single hung windows with all of the energy efficiency stuff. Anyhow, I only had 2 sizes of windows in the house, 32 x 54, and
64 x 54. I believe I was able to get the 32 x 54 for $120.00/ea, and the 64 x 54 for about 240.00.

Hope that helps,
- Jim
794613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #5

basically.. i should do it myself it looks like.. $823 per window is too much..
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Andersen is your basic window co. Pella, Harvey, Marvin are all top of the line. My best friends husband owns a Window co and all he talks about are windows.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

It depends.

Is this a replacement job? What kind of work is being done to the opening? Are these drop in replacements, or are you cutting the old trim out down to the framing?

I do these kinds of estimates for contractors and property owners for a living. If all they are doing is taking out the old windows and installing new vinyl replacements and trimming out the gaps, I'd have to say it's quite high. If they're doing an extensive job of taking out the old window frame, and doing extensive repairs inside and out, it's a maybe. I'd have to see both sides of the openings.

And you'll have to bear with my cynicism when I say I suspect the OP is a contractor pricing out his first window job and - absent of any estimating experience - he's looking for a sanity check. I've seen that too many times.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #8

Aggie67, thanks for your feedback, it's not a replacement job but a complete cutting down of old trimmings to the framing... It's definitely not just removal of the windows, we're getting vinyl frames too. They basically told us that the Andersen SilverLines are the rolls royce; however, after searching a bit, it seems like the Marvins are the top of the line. Pella shouldn't be trusted, Andersens are ok.

The sales guy was a bit pushy, quoting us before even doing any kind of measurement, only after we agreed to pay then he would do the measurements -- so he's really not interested in taking care of us. We'll cancel this order since we have a 3 day cancellation period.

The price is obviously not a deal, so we'll pass.

Regarding if I'm a contractor, I don't know what to say.. I'm just doing the research for my parents.. $14k is a lot to invest in a home.. makes sense new contractors doing this though.. but then.. does it really matter? they can just post in contractortalk.com
Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't consider Pella top of the line
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I don't consider Pella top of the line
Neither do I, looks like Marvin is up there.. Andersen too depending on their series..
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
DIY til I die!

Rewards Points: 25

What is the exterior of the house? Does alot of capping and trim need to be replaced along with the windows? if there is existing siding with the old window flange behind the siding, then the siding would need to be cut, capped boards would need to be installed, etc. What about the interior? are all the window openings going to require drywall repairs, wood trim repairs, etc?
Zel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 584

Silverlines are bargain basement windows. If you are looking for a quality vinyl window you have the wrong brands in mind. Great Lakes, Thermal Industries, Gorell, Sunrise, Revere/Alside are all higher end vinyl windows that I'd expect for the price he wanted to charge.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel1 View Post
What is the exterior of the house? Does alot of capping and trim need to be replaced along with the windows? if there is existing siding with the old window flange behind the siding, then the siding would need to be cut, capped boards would need to be installed, etc. What about the interior? are all the window openings going to require drywall repairs, wood trim repairs, etc?
lol you lost me there.. I think it's pretty standard, the guy didn't really mention anything special..
Old 05-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Silverlines are bargain basement windows. If you are looking for a quality vinyl window you have the wrong brands in mind. Great Lakes, Thermal Industries, Gorell, Sunrise, Revere/Alside are all higher end vinyl windows that I'd expect for the price he wanted to charge.
Thanks for your input.. I cancelled the order.. the guy was using some pushy tactics.. luckily we have a 3 day cancellation law..
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
DIY til I die!

Rewards Points: 25

I was just trying to come up with some logical reason the price would be so high per window. If it wasnt the actual cost of the window, it would have to be some extra cost associated with the labor, or so it would seem.

Zel1 is offline   Reply With Quote