Jeld-Wen Windows - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 192

Jeld-Wen windows

Are the JELD-WEN vinyl windows at Menards and Home Depot decent quality? Specifically, the double hung and single hung windows. Thanks

Advertisement

Jim McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Jeld-Wen windows

I would encourage you to look as some of the more favorably reviewed brands like Soft-Lite, Simonton, Sunrise, Okna, HiMark, etc.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (06-24-2013), joecaption (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,682

Jeld-Wen windows

i have 2 small sliders that i put in my basement. they are doing just fine so far.
so, "descent quality" ? i would say yes, from my very limited experience. jmho
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Jeld-Wen windows

I didn't care for the Jen Weld windows I saw when I compared them to the Pella wood/aluminum windows, the price was only like $35 difference but the Pella was much better constructed, solid wood and joined pieces not particleboard stapled, and they were packed with a lot of protection.
I have 5 pella windows in my house, all the rest are Mi vinyl single hung windows from Menards, mainly I could not go with Pella for these due to their odd 1930 era size that is no longer standard today.
I found a pair of pella windows on the shelf close in size to 2 I wanted to replace in the kitchen (side by side double hung) for $189 each but they were just one inch too wide, so I asked about their next size smaller which according to the pella web site was the right size and had a stock number, but the clerk insisted it was a custom sized window according to his computer.

So I asked what the cost would be and it was totally insane, the 2 windows 1" narrower were going to cost almost $1,000!!!
I said forget it! and I bought the 2 stock windows on the shelf for $189 each and made them work.
But in the rest of the house the window openings are very high and narrow, I would find windows 6-7" shorter or maybe 3-4 " taller, wider or narrower, all of which would have required extensive messing around with interior alterations and exterior clapboard.
But the Mi window line had a size that was just right width wise and just 2" less tall, and the price was around $150 each, with a screen, double glass, argon, Low E, single hung, tilt-in sash.

So for the price, the fact they were so close a fit and all, I went with them and only had to do some minor work to make them fit right.
During some work a sheet of plywood fell over and broke the outside layer of one of them, so I figured for the cost I's just buy another new one and keep this one for spare parts as it didn't look like the upper fixed sash could be removed to replace the glass unit (it can be)
But Menards had discontinued them, and though their inventory insisted they had 6 of this size in stock, after an hour of looking, no one was able to find them, so I bought a replacement glass unit from Mi windows directly after learning replacing it was a simple one.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Jeld-Wen windows

There is a reason that these windows are about the cheapest that you'll find, you do get what you pay for. I would look into the products that windows on Washington mentioned above. Regardless, stay out of the box stores and look into building supply houses like ABC, Allied, etc, or you could look into buying directly from a dealer that sells DIY.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,520

Jeld-Wen windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
look into building supply houses like ABC, Allied, etc,
Are they selling to homeowners now?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Jeld-Wen windows

They don't promote it, but they always have around here.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Jeld-Wen windows

+1

Around here they will still take your money and look the other way.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Jeld-Wen windows

I installed 8 single hung vinyl builder Jeld-wen windows the past few weeks. I went to their site to get a local supplier, instead of dealing with the clowns at HD. The local supplier was more helpful.

Anyways, the windows are good. Better than the aluminum sliders that were in place. The drawbacks I had with mine were as follows, mind you they were minor in my opinion:

a) 6 out of the 8 windows had the incorrect balances installed, so they sent the correct ones a few days after i opened a service request. easy to replace.

b) the interior sash sill frame component on 1 of the wider SH windows popped off, as if they didn't apply enough silcone to the part. service tech coming mid-july.

c) hole in the screen. again to be replaced mid-july.

I'm still buying Jeld-wen for my front, pocket replacements. Working with local supplier now, plus they will deliver to my home no extra charge. I don't trust HD.

Advertisement

Westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote