Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Jeld-Wen Premium

I know most say to stay away from Menards, etc. Big box stores for windows, but Menards sells Jeld-Wen and you can special order Jeld-Wen Premium windows (not the builder grade they assume you want). The base of these premium windows have a U-value of .29 and pressure tested of DP-20 (you can upgrade to DP 50 with adding features like Low E3, triple glazing, etc. These windows would then have a u-value of .23.

Any feedback on Jeld-Wen premium. The specs are better than other windows specialsists offer at a very similar or cheaper price tag.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Jeld-Wen Premium

How much?

Those are good numbers

strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

Jeld-Wen Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery View Post
How much?

Those are good numbers
I was quoted $255 for a 28x56 double hung Jeld-Wen...this one had a u-value of .29 and DP of 20. I would guess that for another 20-30 I'd could improve both numbers. Menards is also running an 18% off sale right now which could save me 50+ on each window. (I need 6).

The other product, Vector, is running me $280 for the same white double hung and gives a U-value of .29, but a pressure rating of DP 40.

If there's a compelling reason to go with one or the other, I would, but I can't seem to find one myself.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Jeld-Wen Premium

Both are mediocre at best IMO. Quality vinyl windows are getting u-values as low as .25-.26 in double pane, DP 50 WITHOUT reinforcement (60+ with it), and air infiltration rates as low as .01 cfm (in double hung). I don't know the exact AI rates of either of those products, but I would guess that both are between .15-.20 at best.
Okna/Himark, Softlite, Sunrise, Polaris, and Vytex all have excellent choices in that range.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

Jeld-Wen Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Both are mediocre at best IMO. Quality vinyl windows are getting u-values as low as .25-.26 in double pane, DP 50 WITHOUT reinforcement (60+ with it), and air infiltration rates as low as .01 cfm (in double hung). I don't know the exact AI rates of either of those products, but I would guess that both are between .15-.20 at best.
Okna/Himark, Softlite, Sunrise, Polaris, and Vytex all have excellent choices in that range.
Thanks for the help. I had another question...
When ordering the double hung, I have the option of a sloped sill or pocket sill. Is there a preference or advantage of one over the other. It seems as though all of the other double hung windows I have ordered in the past look like a pocket sill. Just curious as to the differences and if one is preferred over the other.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Jeld-Wen Premium

Absolutely! A welded sloped sill is always preferred. A pocket sill will channel water through the frame, and over the years it can block up causing issues from minor to catostrophic. It is an obsolete design IMO, and all of the top performing products today utilize a welded sloped sill design.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

Jeld-Wen Premium

How would I know if it were welded? Or is this implied bc it's sloped?