Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Jamb extensions on a door?

I installed a slider a few months back and finally have some time to finish trimming it in. The door has about a 6-8 inch recess from the interior wall, the old door had the returns finished with drywall with a victorian style casement around the outside edge. Instead of messing around with cornerbead, I want to simply use 1" pine boards as "jam extensions" like on a window, and then just have the actual trim overlap the pine for a finished corner. (mitred corners, that victorian look just bad in the room)

Anyreason NOT to do this? Ill take tricky cuts and priming over messing with cornerbead any time I can get away with it.

freeclimbmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

all of my windows had the same treatment so when i redid each room i tore off the drywall, installed jambs and trimmed them out. many builders will use drywall instead of jambs because it saves money but looks pretty plain to me. your plan sounds great and will look much better.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
freeclimbmtb (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

So no issue using this technique on a door frame? Perfect.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Could be an issued. Depends on which way the door swings. I have seen some where the strike would hit the jamb when they are that wide.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

It is a slider, so no swing problems. I usually keep my extensions back 1/8" from the existing jamb edge. really hard to get it perectly flush in the field.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Home Performance

No problems. Good plan
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

As mae-ling said, its a slider so theres no issue with swing. I am going to shoot for enough overlap to cover the sealing groove (see below)

This isnt exactly what ive got, but it shows the basic profile..ish. Bottom right cutaway, top and bottom right corners there is a square pocket (im assuming for calking) So Im going to plan on my jams covering that, I dont mind a step, so as long as that groove is covered, I think I'll be happy with it.

While Im on the subject, should I use any sealant on the interior between the Jam and the vinyl frame? I was thinking just to keep the jam from having any sort of gap agains that edge i might use some white silicone or something...its tight on the exterior so im not worried about weather/infiltration...just aesthetics..