Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Window

Hello everyone,
I would like some advice since I am quite new to DIY around the house. I am moving in a new house (I am renting a room but I am allowed to do any modifications). At the present time the room has no windows and one entrance with no door. I am planning on repainting, adding a trim, installing a window and a door. The window will give onto a hallway which has a big sliding door across from where the window will be. My question is, in what order should I do it? I was thinking about:

1) Paint
2) Add window
3) Add door
4) Add trim

However, since I will be making a whole in a drywall to install the window I am not sure if I should paint the wall before installing the window or after.
Thank you in advance for your advice

DIYLoverKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,320

Interior Window

I think your going to be way over your head on this one.
I'd want to see it in writing from the owner before undertaking a job like that in someone elses house, especially since you have no DIY experiance.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Interior Window

Joecaption,
Where I plan on putting a window there was a door until recently and it got closed down with some drywall so I feel like it should be easier. I would not just cut a hole in a wall like that. The owner said it was ok to do it because otherwise the room really has no air flow. For the door, there is already a frame so it's just a question of fitting a door and installing it properly which I believe I can do with enough attention to detail. Any suggestions in terms of the order I should do things?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,320

Interior Window

What size is the pass though opening now?
Door and window get installed. Paint the ceiling then the walls, prime then install the trim, finish paint the trim.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

Interior Window

The pass through opening where I plan on putting the door is square and 30" wide and 79" tall
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Interior Window

Joe: This IS a DIY site. My suggestion would be add door and window, then trim and paint. Feel free to ask for help here if you need it, although none of these jobs is rocket science.

DM
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Interior Window

DM,
Thank you for your support. I believe that I am patient and detailed enough I can do a good job. I believe the hardest part will be cutting the drywall and installing the window. I will have to plan it out correctly. Any suggetsions in terms of things that I might overlook that are important? Also, the drywall is relatively thin and, since it was a door before, it probably does not have any studs in it. Is that going to be a problem? I am not sure but most windows I was looking at are about 3" thick and I believe the wall might be slighly thinner than that.

Last edited by DIYLoverKS; 09-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.