Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to kutsyy
Share |

interior door quality: Masonite vs IMP

I am installing dual 10-lite Finger Jointed Pine Primed pocket door and I am trying to decided on the brand. Currently I am choosing between IMP and Masonite. I know that Tru-Stile is better, but they are 5x more (I need each slab to be standard 32"x80"x1 3/8").

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Vadim

kutsyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

im not a fan of the masonite doors, well the jamb actually. the stop is moulded into the jamb and cant be moved or adjusted. also i dont like whatever coating they put on them. you accidently get a bad shot with the brad nailer and you get a blow out and it all blows apart and is a pain to repair. i dont believe that we have the other brand in my area so i cant comment on it

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

well. there is a reason behind the saying, you get what you pay for. ive hung countless masonite doors and i find them to be a lower quality product. if im using a lower cost door i prefer jeldwens but for solid doors i prefer milan' from quebec.. at least thats what i think their called, they generally run about $150 each and are made of solid pine as oposed to masonite solid doors which are simply a veneer over mdf
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

You said "pocket doors", 1 3/8 thick??? So I assume these are on the interior??? As suggested above, there are good and not so good doors, but interior doors don't require weather resistance. I would say, use whatever fits your decorating needs.

A 9 lite door for the interior is not a common thing, how about french style doors??
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote