Insulating Around Windows With Spray Foam (low Expanding) - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Insulating around windows with spray foam (low expanding)

I'm new at this so forgive me if I'm a little dense.

I just took the trim off to insulate around my windows with low expanding window & door spray foam. I had something in mind for what I was supposed to see but I'm not seeing it.

I expected to see shim space or a gap between two pieces of wood framing all around the window. I'm seeing a gap, but it's just around the outside of the frame and the drywall. Here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating around windows with spray foam (low expanding)-photo-1-.jpg   Insulating around windows with spray foam (low expanding)-photo.jpg  

Advertisement

strategery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

That is pretty normal.

Sealing there does not address the leakage inside the wall but will help mitigate leakage behind the trim.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash
That is pretty normal.

Sealing there does not address the leakage inside the wall but will help mitigate leakage behind the trim.
Would you recommend that I insulate this with foam or is it ok? Is this a major source of air leakage?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Foam can't hurt.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

The effectiveness of the foam will depend largely on how well the opening is insulated/sealed in the first place, but as WoW said, it definitely will not hurt. If some of the gaps are really tight, you can just cut the drywall back a little bit to make sure that you seal it properly. It will be covered back up by your casing, so it need not be pretty.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #6

Thanks guys.

Well after cutting back the drywall just a little bit more, I noticed that it does look like shim space and there was just some batt insulation stuff in there. Not bad. I know that is how they used to do it back then. I prefer to this with low expanding foam though for a better air seal and to be more comfortable when next to the window.

Both of you guys have worked a lot with foam right? Do you know the best way to remove it from surfaces after it gets on them? I try to be as careful with it as possible, but it's hard not to get it on something. A little got on my wood floor. I was told that maybe nail polish will work?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Unless you are using the water-based stuff (daptex) you will need some type of solvent. Nail polish remover will probably work, otherwise mineral spirits or something along those lines. They sell a cleaner for it which seems to be acetone in a spray can... What ever you use, be sure to test in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure that you don't take the finish off of your floor.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Good information, and, if using spray remove keep it away from open flame! Acetone is has a very low flash point.

Mark
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

I use only DAP around windows and doors. Easy to clean up, and less messier when working with it. Just do not use the DAP foam around Copper materials, since it will react with Copper.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote