Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

Installing shower door question

Trying to replace a shower door that is around 34" wide. I have the new replacement door now.The tile on the wall is intact but over time it has moved a little bit.Meaning when I lay the vertical wide part of the new frame (left side)that the shower door will pivot on against the existing ceramic tile wall I have places where there is up to an 1/8" gap. The wall is actually level at the top and bottom where the new frame will attach but in between there are some gaps. This is not a just lay a bead of caulk repair. The new frame actually has some room in it (up to 3/8" deep and 1-1/4" wide)that if I glued some type of black rubber/weather stripping down the tile wall the frame would go right over it and the self tapping screws would draw the frame in against the weather stripping and you would see a small amount of the black weather stripping.Wasn't sure if this black weather stripping or another material would be fine getting wet every time the shower is used.
This is an old bathroom that still functions well and I don't feel like dumping alot of money in it in this economy. Can't think of another way to master this problem. Any thoughts?

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

Installing shower door question

Tile does not just move or settle over time. What's holding it to the wall can fail and it can come loose, or it could have just been laid wrong in the fist place.
A bead of 100% silicone is what's used in most cases when sealing around and under the door frames on shower doors.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote