DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Installing retrofit windows inside raised facade (

Improvised 06-08-2011 07:55 PM

Installing retrofit windows inside raised facade
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can install a retrofit window inside a raised facade window frame (I'm not sure what it's called so I've attached a photo). The problem is that the retrofit window has the stucco flange that would not allow the window to go back all the way into the existing window frame. My only idea at this point would be to cut the flange off, but this might cause other problems?

Your thoughts?


Just Bill 06-09-2011 07:08 AM

By "retrofit", do you mean a window that fits into the existing frame??? If yes, they do not have mounting flanges. New construction windows, that require complete removal of the old window sashes and frame, have a mounting flange.

You can usually cut off the mounting flange, if the window is the correct size to fit into the old frame.

dsconstructs 06-09-2011 08:21 AM

You are correct that many retrofit windows have what they call "flush fins" that would go against stucco or other flat trim to create the seal. You can also get the retrofit windows ordered in block style, no fin at all. They would mount in the same way as the flush fin.... sideways through the window frame into the window framing. Some of those have trim you can purchase with them that lock into a groove on the face of the frame, can be and would need to be trimmed to fit inside the trim pocket you're dealing with and then sealed that way. Otherwise you may have to get creative with some other sort of small trim to fill in and seal around the window.

Improvised 06-09-2011 11:16 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.


Originally Posted by dsconstructs (Post 663969)
You are correct that many retrofit windows have what they call "flush fins" ....

Dsconstructs, is correct, it's indeed the flush fins I'm talking about. The problem is that I already have the window. It's a long story that involves me firing an incompetent "contractor" (had to redo much of his work on the other windows) and having to get certain windows that matched my HOA's "look". So, needless to say, I've got the window and it has the flush fins. It looks like I will indeed have to get creative with my grinder (aluminum windows), unless I can find and buy a new window (would like to avoid that if possible).

dsconstructs 06-10-2011 12:40 AM

Are you saying the new flush fin windows are aluminum? I'm just so used to seeing vinyl for flush fins I guess......
Regardless I would check the manufacturer details, they'll usually show a cross section of the frames they use that would show whether those fins can be trimmed without weakening the frame. My guess would say it'll be alright to trim but.......check it out first. A solid flat fin would be alright to trim. A hollow "boxed in" would only be alright to trim if that isn't what's also holding the main frame front and side together......hope that makes sense.

Also, of course I don't know the measurements of the new window and existing opening but it would be great if you were able to cut off just enough fin to fit inside the stucco opening but still seal that fin against the existing aluminum frame. Then still seal again around the outside edge of the fin after it's in place also.

sooter 06-11-2011 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the window is aluminium I would not remove the outer frame and flanges from the opening. It would be better to remove all internal mullions and transoms from the frame, even if you have to cut them out with a hack saw, and then purchase what is called a "equal legged chair frame and srew this into the existing outer frame. Make sure you use stainless steel screws. Then tape the edges and apply a fine silicone seal to the existing outer frame and the new chair frame insert window. It will then save you any water proofing problems and you will not have to touch or repair the outer plaster finish on the house. Also in the chair frame you can place an awning or casement or double hung sash if required. The "colonial bars" currently on the window can be purchased and applied to both faces of the glazing if you want that look still. If double glazing is required then make sure you order the glazing with "gem" bars inside the dg unit and then apply the "plant on" bars" to line up with the internal "Gem" bars. Doing a refit like this is not a major and really is fairly simple.

dsconstructs 06-11-2011 06:12 PM

Just to keep from getting confusing.....we weren't talking about cutting the existing window......just trying to sort out possibly fitting the new window in there, without having to buy a new one......

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1