Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Installing new construction windows in old House

I am going to be installing some new construction windows with built in j-channel in my house. There is dutch lap siding on the house that will be covered with Tyvek then vinyl. The entire window frame will be removed down to the rough opening.

My question- Where the Current siding nails onto the studs in the RO, I have about 3/4" - 1" of stud showing (as it should be), but I need to "furr out" this area so that the window will be on the same plane as the current siding. What would be the best way to do this?

Fisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Plywood ripped to correct widths and incorporated to all the proper flashing details.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

So, it is fine to rip the plywood to 3/4" and just nail it on there? Just put a nail in the center of the strip every 6" or so? Should I use adhesive between the plywood and studs? Would 1x lumber work fine too
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #4

Just use 1x2 firring strips available at all home centers with less work and cost. It is better to fasten with screws and glue to minimize the movement
Larculy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Home Performance

I find it nearly impossible not to split those furring strips without pre-drilling, so I'd say the plywood as well. Screw it and glue it..... You might want to also cut the siding back more so the entire nailing flange sits (ie: seals)on the nice flat surface, rather than some old siding with gaps, peeling paint, etc.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 10-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
I find it nearly impossible not to split those furring strips without pre-drilling, so I'd say the plywood as well. Screw it and glue it..... You might want to also cut the siding back more so the entire nailing flange sits (ie: seals)on the nice flat surface, rather than some old siding with gaps, peeling paint, etc.
I kow. using coarse threaded scews will split as they penetrate much to fast. You must use the fine thread screw,readily available.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher252 View Post
I am going to be installing some new construction windows with built in j-channel in my house. There is dutch lap siding on the house that will be covered with Tyvek then vinyl. The entire window frame will be removed down to the rough opening.

My question- Where the Current siding nails onto the studs in the RO, I have about 3/4" - 1" of stud showing (as it should be), but I need to "furr out" this area so that the window will be on the same plane as the current siding. What would be the best way to do this?
Are you removing the Dutch-Lap siding first?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larculy View Post
Are you removing the Dutch-Lap siding first?
No, I was planning to leave the siding.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher252 View Post
No, I was planning to leave the siding.
In my experience of seeing old siding(assuming its Vinyl Dutch lap) covered you inherent problems such as,having to jam out all doors windows etc. and you have an unstable substrate that cause the new siding to appear full of unevenness. I would suggest removing the old siding and install 1/4" fan-fold insulation. This should avoid any jam out process.....Good luck

Last edited by Larculy; 10-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Home Performance

Judging by the op's description, I'm pretty sure that its not vinyl. ..... Obviously vinyl siding should never be gone over under any circumstances.
Assuming that it is the original wood siding, it is pretty common to go over it due to the cost savings. I would say though that I like to add fanfold and then either tape the seams or add tyvek (or similar) over that, rather than just wrapping tyvek on the wood.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #11

Yes, it is the original wood siding, not vinyl. I will use plywood, that sounds like a better idea than 1x lumber, and probably cheaper too.

Actually, half of the house is an addition that has some type of particle board type straight lap siding on it. So, it is not flat like the dutch lap. Would it be ok to put fanfold over that, then vinyl, or do I need to pull that off and sheath it?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #12

Depending on how many windows you have to do, using 2x stock should be a lot cheaper than 4x8x1 plywood..assuming you have a table saw to rip it.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote