Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #1

Share |

Installing interior door over drywall?

So I have a living room with an approximate 5 ft opening. I will be converting the room to a bedroom and installing a double interior door. Can I just install the door jambs directly to the existing drywall over the studs or do I need to remove it to expose the wall studs?

I know typically you attach the jambs directly to the studs but if I could just keep the drywall there it would make it a lot easier in a few years when I go 2 sell and convert it back to a living room.

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Installing inside the drywall opening will damage the drywall to the extent that it will require repair regardless if you return it to its pre-door state.

I would rely moreso on what you need the size to be (understand that a custom size door will be more expensive than a standard size opening) and use that as the determinant of what you need the RO to be.

Drywall is cheap at the end of the day and the repairs won't be that bad up or down.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
DIY staff

One draw back to leaving the drywall---the opening is to wide for standard 4 5/8" jambs--the corner bead adds to the width----thus making the installation and trim really time consuming.