Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Full Frame Window - Existing Aluminum Siding

So eventually I do plan to do the siding, but entirely new windows followed by all new siding is straight out of budget and out of reality at this time.

Right now I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and I'd like to replace the window in the bathroom - its a 1920s home and I feel the current window frame is old and not in the best condition (hence wanting to replace as a full-frame job).

Is there an acceptable approach for installing this without removing the siding? I've seen offhand suggestions to trip the siding back 3" or so on each side to allow the flange to be nailed down. This makes sense to me.

But what do I do to fill the gap and lock it back into the siding at that point? Is it a bad idea? I really dont want to do a drop-in window replacement, and similarly I'd like to get the window done while I have the bathroom fully gutted.

Help! Any thoughts would be good to get me going. Right now I'm not even sure what to be searching for.

walked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,034

Cut the siding back, cover with trim, button it back up the siding (may have to make your own J-channel).

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Cut the siding back, cover with trim, button it back up the siding (may have to make your own J-channel).
Thank you. Is this a realistic option? What trim should I be covering with? Any particular product suggestion? Also - any more info on the j-channel piece? Not sure what that would entail. (At least I know that I don't know which is the first step)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

That's one job I'm glad your going to do, not me.
I've yet to see a great way to really waterproof, or even attach the J moulding, good luck trying to cut that old siding to the exact amount needed so there's no gaps.
I've seen it done many times, but I'm often times the one that comes in behind the DIY or "pro" that did it and get to fix all the wall damage.
It would be far easier to just leave the window until the time you have the money and time to do the window and the siding.
Strictly a personal option.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Walked,
There isn't a 100% right way to do this without a lot of siding removal. However, if you want to do it without removing the siding, mark out on the siding where the outer perimeter if the new window is going to end up. I use to use one of those twin bladed saws that have counter rotating blades. But actually a Fein tool with a good blade will cut through the siding very easily and controllably and leave a nice edge without flinging all kinds of hot aluminum ships on you. To digress a sec, when you are marking out your cut, allow for some width of trim all the way around in order to be able to use the nailing fin on the window. Once you get the window fastened in, caulk any gaps with a good grade caulking, cover the nailer fin all the way around with protecta wrap butyl seal. I normally rip 2 x 4 stock for the trim around the window. Leave about an eighth inch gap between the wood and aluminum. Bend some aluminum coil stock to cover the trim. Sneak a piece of drip cap up under the siding on top and fasten with a few aluminum trim nails. Carefully caulk the seam between the siding and the coil stock all the way around. It's a p.i.t.a. job that I rarely do anymore unless it's a friend or relative.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,034

Joe,

I will tell you sometime how we do it. It is a P ITA but can be done effectively
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Joe,

I will tell you sometime how we do it. It is a P ITA but can be done effectively
I emailed your company and I got an email back saying you cant service me in DC. Any chance you could provide some more insight on how to approach this one. Sad to see an attitude that it's rough going, but if you can expand on how to do it effectively - maybe it's doable. At this point I'm leaning towards throwing in the towel and ignoring the window until I get to siding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Walked,
There isn't a 100% right way to do this without a lot of siding removal. However, if you want to do it without removing the siding, mark out on the siding where the outer perimeter if the new window is going to end up. I use to use one of those twin bladed saws that have counter rotating blades. But actually a Fein tool with a good blade will cut through the siding very easily and controllably and leave a nice edge without flinging all kinds of hot aluminum ships on you. To digress a sec, when you are marking out your cut, allow for some width of trim all the way around in order to be able to use the nailing fin on the window. Once you get the window fastened in, caulk any gaps with a good grade caulking, cover the nailer fin all the way around with protecta wrap butyl seal. I normally rip 2 x 4 stock for the trim around the window. Leave about an eighth inch gap between the wood and aluminum. Bend some aluminum coil stock to cover the trim. Sneak a piece of drip cap up under the siding on top and fasten with a few aluminum trim nails. Carefully caulk the seam between the siding and the coil stock all the way around. It's a p.i.t.a. job that I rarely do anymore unless it's a friend or relative.
Mike Hawkins
I'm following until the trim; I'm not quite familiar with coil stock. Googling / reading time. Thank you for your comments

Last edited by walked; 03-20-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Coil stock is what the siding guys use to bend into specific shapes to cover wood trim on the outside of houses. It comes in rolls that are 24" wide by 50' long. It can be purchased at any of the siding warehouse or I believe I have seen it at Home Depot. You need a siding brake to bend it, they can be rented, but for one window, you would be better off just trying to find a local siding guy to stop by and do the trim. One other way you could go is to buy the PVC trim. It's the solid vinyl trim that looks like wood trim, comes in white with one side with a wood grained texture. Fasten it with stainless steel trim screws made for just that. Caulk it all in and you would be done.
Mike Hawkins:

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote