Installing A Entrance Door With Nail Fin - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Installing a entrance door with nail fin

I have a new fiberglass entrance door that has a nail fin on it. Aside from leveling and squaring the door in the opening and nailing the fin, do I still need to do any shimming and additional nail/screws through the casing into the framing?

Advertisement

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Never seen a door with nailing fins. As for installing, yes you always true the door, and use shims at the hinge side, along with one three inch wood screw if attaching it to wood framing, at each hinge, two & 1/2 or three inch screws for the deadbolt and lockset plates, so that it makes it harder to be kicked in.

Of course it does not take much to bust through a Fiberglass door, if you have the proper tool.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

They're newer around here, on all new construction. The door is fiberglass but the jamb is wood and vinyl on the exterior. Picked a $600 one up do $35 that they were throwing away. Talking with the contractors they say they love it as its fast to install and it has an integral brickmold like windows.

Never bothered to ask if they beef up the install tho.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

I ended up plumbing it, nailing the flange then going back around and shimming each hinge and replaced one screw with a 2 1/2. At the latch I shimmed and ran longer screws as well. Using this method the door is rock solid and no holes need to be patched. Super easy door install except you have little to no adjustment if the opening isn't parallel(like commercial doors).
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

do both other wise your asking for problems if you just rely on the nailing flange. ive seen coiuntless entry doors installed solely by the nailing flange and their a service technicians best friend becasue they make a ton of money fixing them. its extremely common on apartment buildings to see entry doors put in that way
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (09-16-2013)