Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Installation problem with new door

Our old front door, fit's very loosely. So decided to go out and purchase a new one.
Bought a pre-hung fiberglass door from HD. Had planned to install it myself. Our house is a 70's block home. I hadn't really given much thought about the fact that the door is on the inside of the block. Instructions say to put door in from outside. Can't do, as there is heavy rough cut cedar on the outside frame fastened directly to the block.

I removed the inside molding and to my surprise the door is hung directly on the framing studs. There is no inside frame. The opening is framed with 2x4's which are not fastened in any way to the concrete block. I can only presume that they are fastened to the heavy wood on the outside of the house. Has anyone encountered a situation like this? I'm really stumped as what to do. The opening is only 36" the wood makes it 32" which is the width of the door. Is there any way I could remove this wood, and install the pre-hung unit? My other thought was to simply hang the new door in the original frame. What worries me is it's a fiberglass door. If it does not fit exactly, I'm in trouble. Once I remove the door from the packaging, I don't think I could return it. So have no way to measure the thing.

Suggestions?

KeninHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Last night, when I posted this I wasn't thinking too clearly. I said there was no door frame. There appears to be a frame made of either 2x4 or 2x8 I am not sure it's hard to see any joints. This frame is squeezed into the concrete block opening which is 36" The door is 32".

I am trying to figure whether to try and remove these jambs or not. I'm not really sure how they are fastened, or if at all. This frame in turn is either fastened or glued to a heavy outside molding made of rough sawn cedar.

If I damage that cedar I am in trouble. Moms house is in a deed restricted community. I am not allowed to alter the facade at all! If I damage it, it would be a very expensive job to repair.

I'm simply asking if theres anyone out there with knoweledge of this type of construction. I wish I could attach a pic, but you only allow links to external sources here.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

Without a picture of the inside and outside it's anyone's guess what you have there.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

I could furnish pictures, if there was a way to insert them here. You only provide for sending an url to pictures stored somewhere in the cloud. I don't use it. So I can't post a picture. Now if there is a way to insert pictures, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

I have done some digging. The old frame is 2x8" lumber. I was able to see it from above. It has apparently been ripped down to 7 1/4". Why they just removed a quarter of an inch is beyond me. Then that is framed in with 1" cedar which has also been cut to fit. Nailed then to outside cedar trim.

Like I said, it would be so much easier if I could just insert my pictures here. I don't use flicker or any of those external storage schemes.

The old frames outside dimensions are 35 1/4" x 81 3/4" the door is 32 1/8" by 78 1/2". There is a quarter inch gap on the hinge side, so that would make the opening 35 1/2"

I took the new door out of the packaging so I could measure it. It is only 31 5/8 wide so it won't fit the old frame. It's too small. It's also an inch higher than the old door, The inside dimensions of the old frame are 32 1/4 x 80 including the threshold.

On the left side I was able to see the screws holding it to the cinderblock. I guess I will simply fit the new frame into the opening and shim it into place. I will also attach some treated 1x8 to the opening before I place the new door frame. I will also line the opening before attaching the wood. Does this sound like the right thing to do? I've got to work out the measurements. I don't see how I could simply use the new door in the old frame.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

This link will walk you through attaching pictures.
How to attach a photo to a post
KeninHudson (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

I opened the Reply dialog. I see nowhere a button to "magage attachments"!

The only three buttons there are for e'mail notification, "rating" and "Submit". Am I missing something? I don't see that anywhere even in "advanced" mode.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninHudson View Post
I opened the Reply dialog. I see nowhere a button to "magage attachments"!

The only three buttons there are for e'mail notification, "rating" and "Submit". Am I missing something? I don't see that anywhere even in "advanced" mode.
When you signed up for DIY, did you get a confirmation email and then complete the confirmation? There have been recent issues with new members not getting the confirmation email.

Tags
door frames, door problems, entry doors