Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

Installation of new window - help...

Hello:

I have a new window (with nailing fin) that I want to install. I just want to make sure I know the correct procedure. Seems to be many different points of view on how to install properly so I have a few questions. I am removing the existing siding and sheathing in order to repair the exterior sheathing that was rotted.

This is how I was to go about it:
1-Use Protecto wrap on rough opening and extended out on to sheathing. Do the bottom sill first, then sides and then the top.

Do I need to use plastic flashing corners on the sill as well?

2- Caulk nailing fin on top, sides and bottom. Leave 3" gaps on bottom for water to drain out. Set window into to rough opening and level and nail with roofing nails.

3- More protecto wrap on top of nailing fins. Same as the first step - bottom first then sides.

4- Before the protecto wrap goes on top nailing fin, install metal flashing with roofing nails 3" up and overhang the top of window.

Is this necessary if the siding will have the drip cap? Can this be under the drip cap for extra protection?

5- Working from the bottom of the new sheathing, apply builders felt (15#) with staples and work up over lapping the layers. Top layer will get tucked under the existing felt above the window.

Will the staples puncturing the protecto wrap cause issuess? Should I leave a 2 inch gap around the window when putting up the builders felt and then tape it down with the protecto wrap? So in the end, there would be 3 layers of protecto wrap.

Or should I skip step 3 and just cover the nailing fins with protecto wrap when applying the builders felt? (2 layers of protecto wrap)

Or apply builders felt first (on sheathing and rough opening) and then just use the protecto wrap on top of the nailing fin and felt?

6- re-install siding.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by zephed666; 06-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.
zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

1. I prefer the rigid pans but the flex wrap is fine as well. There are several systems out there that work really well.

2. I know you can skip the caulking on the rear but I would just leave it open in total.

3. None on the bottom. Sides and head only.

4. Drip cap goes over the flashing wrap and under the housewrap. You could use more flashing tape if you want but it is overkill.

5. I would use traditional housewrap before felt. The wrapping is self-healing.

6. Yes.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
1. I prefer the rigid pans but the flex wrap is fine as well. There are several systems out there that work really well.

2. I know you can skip the caulking on the rear but I would just leave it open in total.

3. None on the bottom. Sides and head only.

4. Drip cap goes over the flashing wrap and under the housewrap. You could use more flashing tape if you want but it is overkill.

5. I would use traditional housewrap before felt. The wrapping is self-healing.

6. Yes.
thanks!

I am using felt since that is what is there now and I do not want to mix and match when I repair the sheathing.
So I should not cover the bottom nail fin with the protecto wrap? that is the first time I heard that. Why is that?
I thought the builders felt is self healing and the house wrap is not?

So with felt, just run to window on top of flashing tape and then tape?

Last edited by zephed666; 06-18-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

If you're going to stay with the felt for material consistency that is fine.

You never wrap the bottom of the flange because you will effectively be trapping the water inside the wall system at that point.

None of the house wraps or building felts are self-healing. They should be installed with button cap nails to help them be more watertight but the only self-healing membranes or the flashing membranes that are either modified bitumen or butyl.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
If you're going to stay with the felt for material consistency that is fine.

You never wrap the bottom of the flange because you will effectively be trapping the water inside the wall system at that point.

None of the house wraps or building felts are self-healing. They should be installed with button cap nails to help them be more watertight but the only self-healing membranes or the flashing membranes that are either modified bitumen or butyl.

Thanks!