Install Window Inserts Or Full Frame Replacements - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Install window inserts or full frame replacements

I am planning on replacing 9 double hung windows in 3 sets of 3. The frame for one window is about 22x58. So with inserts this would be a very small window. So why not do full frame replacements? The outside is stucco and I really don't know how I can install a full frame replacement without damaging the stucco exterior. I've gotten 2 quotes from renewal by Anderson and Marvin, both in the $15000 range. That is just too much so I'm looking at diy options. Any help, ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Install window inserts or full frame replacements-1427648176442.jpg   Install window inserts or full frame replacements-1427648195744.jpg  

Advertisement

saxsquad29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,828

To be honest, between the storm sash and the window, a narrow framed insert will actually feel and appear larger (in terms of glass) than what you have.

If you look out the window, just off of perpendicular to the sash, you see quite a bit of storm window frame.

A full tear out is certainly and option but will be, as you noted, quite a bit more expensive.

Inserts would work just fine there. Looks like she has a good drip cap above them already.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (03-30-2015), mae-ling (03-29-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 656

+1 to WoW's comments... I'd also add another option to drastically increase the window/glass size without doing a full tear out would be to remove only those mulls. That would probably gain you 12" or so on width, and wouldn't require touching that stucco.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #4

So would I tear out the mulls, then put a 2x4 in each area for the new window to attach to? The outside molding and exterior sheathing would have to be cut as well?
I was looking into the Marvin integrity insert line, hopefully this will work and look okay?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 68

What are you trying to gain by replacing these windows? Larger glass area? Better energy efficiency?

I have 16 old double hung windows in my home and have decided to restore them and add wood storm windows instead of replacing them. Two of the original windows had cheap single pane aluminum sash inserts installed by a previous owner. I removed one of these and replaced it with a Pella double pane wood insert, but for the other I'm planning to have replacement sashes built and installed in the old frame.
shaftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaftmaster For This Useful Post:
halliwellc (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #6

I don't want to lose anymore glass area with the inserts, so I was told of modifying the opening. These windows do let in a lot of cold air, so the energy savings would be nice.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
+1 to WoW's comments... I'd also add another option to drastically increase the window/glass size without doing a full tear out would be to remove only those mulls. That would probably gain you 12" or so on width, and wouldn't require touching that stucco.
So do I put a 2x4 in and attach window that way. Do you have any suggestions on how I go about this?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 192

Do as shaft master is doing. Restore and upgrade your original wood sashes. Google for details on all the reasons why it's better. Bob Yapp travels around and does workshops for homeowners, check it out.
halliwellc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxsquad29 View Post
I don't want to lose anymore glass area with the inserts, so I was told of modifying the opening. These windows do let in a lot of cold air, so the energy savings would be nice.
As I stated previously, removal of the storm sash with a replacement window, will make the window feel larger. That is the overwhelming feedback that we get from our clients when they have a single pane wood with storm window combination.

If you use a narrow profile replacement, while the net glass size may be slightly smaller, the opening will appear larger and actually let in more light in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxsquad29 View Post
So do I put a 2x4 in and attach window that way. Do you have any suggestions on how I go about this?
A 2x4 is an option but not required if the windows are sturdy and mulled together properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halliwellc View Post
Do as shaft master is doing. Restore and upgrade your original wood sashes. Google for details on all the reasons why it's better. Bob Yapp travels around and does workshops for homeowners, check it out.
I am a big fan of restoration when warranted. If the windows are historic or otherwise worthy of preservation. I am not sure that is the case here and restoration is not for everyone.

Many folks don't like storm windows and the look that they give. They will be a necessity in any single pane application.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 81

Have you thought about sash replacements? I have used these and they work great and you don't have to give up valuable viewing area like with inserts. Basically you keep your original frame (assuming it is in good shape) and just remove the old sashes and replace them with new, less drafty sashes. It looks like you have rope and weights so you would have a little extra work removing the weights and sealing that hole up. The kits (at least from the company I use) comes with everything you need- sashes, channels, hardware, etc. They pretty easy to install, even by yourself.

Advertisement

Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote