Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Install pre-hung exterior door in cinder block

I'm replacing a probably 60 year old interior door hung on an exterior 8" cinder block wall...garage! So its a side door 24 x 80.

The pre-hung door overall frame width is 25.5 x 81.75. The opening is 27.5 x 82.00...yeah tight on top. I'm going with a 6 9/16" jamb width which is what is currently in placee. But my concern is how best to frame the cinder block wall and with pre-treated lumber?

I have 2 inches to play with on the sides and if I did 3/4" on each jamb, I still have 1/2" to play with. Probably the best part...it all looks pretty plumb.

So how best to approach this?

hunt4cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

If you use Pressure Treated 1x4's, you have no space for hanging that 24" door. The min. size of an entrance door should be no less than 30", preferably 32", 36" at the max for a main or rear entrance.

Even most bedroom doorways are 30-32 inch openings in majority of homes. Personally I would cut out the opening with a concrete saw, then put in a Lintel at the top, and rough in new framing for the doorway, so that you can get a 32" door in there.

Post pictures of this.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you use Pressure Treated 1x4's, you have no space for hanging that 24" door. The min. size of an entrance door should be no less than 30", preferably 32", 36" at the max for a main or rear entrance.
Checking today, the actual width of a pressure treated 1x4 is 3/4" which with two, gives me 1/2" play. Am I missing something here?
hunt4cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

No you are not. Still you should get that opening to at least a minimum of 32". 24" is just way too tight for proper use, or egress.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (08-16-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

How many openings are in the room?

For egress you need 2. A garage door is considered one, a door back into the home is technically 2.

I agree, a bigger opening is ideal, but if you can't/won't then here is my suggestion.

Plumb the hinge side with 1x6 pressure treated wood, then hang the door. for the latch side, slip in a 1x, or shim it depending on your spacing left.

You are going to have to attach the door with tapcons on all sides because a 1x isn't thick enough to hold the door in place.
hungryjack is offline   Reply With Quote