Increasing Window Sill Depth - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Increasing window sill depth

Is it possible to move a window deeper into the frame (toward the outside of the house)?

SWMBO has tasked me to install inside-mount blinds on a window that only has 1.5 inches (38mm) of frame to mount to and I'm concerned that it will stick out into the room and create a gap in blind coverage.

We have one window in the house with 4 inches (100mm) of mounting area and the remainder are between 1 and 2 inches (25-50mm). Here are some pictures showing the deep frame and the shallow frame. http://imgur.com/a/k97f8

Advertisement

zipmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Not cost effectively.

You are stuck with it until such point you want to change/remove the siding and bump the window out.

Even the picture with the shallow depth is enough to hang most blinds internally.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

you should be able to hang them inside of the space, just have to watch out when you let them down because they will bump the hand grabs on the sash. mine are the same type windows and I always stop downward motion with the pull chord down near the bottom when shutting blind to accommodate the hand grabs, you soon figure out the motion needed after a few tries... in fact, looking at the windows the blinds are mounted inside to the flat part ( 1/2") of the 3/4" jamb stop. house was built in the early 70's and I reused the original stops when adding replacements in...

Last edited by hand drive; 04-14-2013 at 04:17 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,632

How about a cornice above the window?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote