Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Impact Sliding Glass Doors

I just replaced an old sliding glass patio door with an impact slider made by TM Windows here in South Florida. I did a water test and was surprised that even though the frame is square, and everything fits securely, water penetrates the weather strip at the base of the door panel, and fills the track - on the inside of the door panel. Assuming that something was wrong, or missing, I had a guy from the company come out, and he told me that this is the way the door is supposed to work - that the water will eventually drain out to the exterior via a series of gaps at either end of the tracks on the sill that act as weep holes. There is a high rail (3") at the interior edge of the sill that prevents the water from draining to the interior.

I have never seen a door design that actually allows water to enter the interior of the house, and frankly I wouldn't have made this change if I had known this. Is this the way the new sliders are designed? I bought 2 doors - I haven't installed the other, it is definitely going back.

pianodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

never heard of such ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #3

Here is a video I made of the water intrusion. I think it's pretty unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4lh6...e_gdata_player
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

No door (especially a slider) will be water tight at the interface between the track and the panel.

As long as the sill is a full welded and/or sealed sill, that water should be draining out of the door via weep holes at the bottom of the frame.

Does the door/sill have some positive pitch to outside?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #5

I have several doors in my home, including 2 old sliders. They all
seal tight, no water inside, even in tropical storms and hurricanes.

There is no positive pitch on this door. I set it level in wet cement according to the directions.

If you watch the video, you can see that the water does drain to the outside. The fact that it comes into the interior and fills the sill on the negative side of the door panels first is what bothers me. Just a light sprinkling from a garden hose puts about 3/4 inch of water in the sill - its like a rain gutter, water comes in and flows out. When I turn the hose off, or when it stops raining, the water drains outside. As long as it is raining, the inside of the sill is full of water. It seems that a strong wind blown rain could overwhelm this system.

I could tolerate a few drops, but this is a lot of water. This is a bedroom btw. Any time it rains (as it does a lot here in Florida) my son is sleeping next to a trough of rain water.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
never heard of such ....
i think i what kinda "..." you're talking about.
Dude, that just ain't right. What if its raining faster than the water can get out? And it takes 2 hours to drain? Call the company again, tell um to send out somebody who knows something about the products they make.
Windows, you're correct about being absolutely water tight, even submarines aren't absolutely water tight. But that was ridiculous.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

notmrjohn,

it might come with an emergency pump for those cases where the inflow is greater than the outflow ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote