Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Impact resistant vinyl patio french doors

I am doing a renovation on an island and need some information on impact resistant vinyl patio french doors. I was going to buy the PGT Wind guard 550 series until I heard that they lost their Miami Dade Code rating and stopped producing the door. Any suggestions on vinyl french door companies?

regina242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #2

Not sure about the frame of a door being impact resistant, but impact glass is also part of the equation. Actually, that is why Florida dwellers keep a lot of plywood handy. Not an expert here, don't know how you make a vinyl frame hurricane impact resistant.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

I just read a lengthy report on impact resistance of doors and windows in hurricane areas. Turns out that the current test is not too useful for predicting performance of door and window sacrificial shutter systems in real world events. The report does indicate that steel shutters perform reasonably well in reducing the potential for breakage of glass due to missile strike in a hurricane.

So far as I can tell, there are no glass doors made that are sufficiently impact resistant to survive a hurricane, they all require shutters to be effective. But then again, I don't know if you are designing for hurricanes. There are numerous shutter system available, some on tracks, some mounted directly to the door or window frame. Google steel shutter system and you will find lots of alternatives, but you may want to check with the local building authority to discuss what they have found works best in your area.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Custom Home Builder

Simonton seems to be the product in F-L-A.
thomasjmarino is offline   Reply With Quote