Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

IGU replacement in Aluminum window frame

I have a failed IGU (insulated glass unit - dual pane) in an older aluminum window. I have another good IGU (from another spare frame) that I wish to substitute for the failed unit.

When I try to separate the IGU from the frame it is stuck to it by a black sealant. I tried using a breakoff knife and putty knife but they don't work.

Without breaking the IGU, what is the best way to release the glass unit from the aluminum frame?

Daler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 0

There are special tool for cutting the glazing bead (looks like a pizza cutter), otherwise, you can also get extra-long (like 4") utility blades that can be used in any regular knife.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daler View Post
I have a failed IGU (insulated glass unit - dual pane) in an older aluminum window. I have another good IGU (from another spare frame) that I wish to substitute for the failed unit.

When I try to separate the IGU from the frame it is stuck to it by a black sealant. I tried using a breakoff knife and putty knife but they don't work.

Without breaking the IGU, what is the best way to release the glass unit from the aluminum frame?
Wear leather gloves without fail and perhaps some sleeve coverings. Very easy to hurt yourself if you are not careful.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote