Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

Share |

Identify balancers

I am moving to a new house and must replace sash balancers on some windows I have been unable to identify the windows or balancers. the only identifying marks on the windows that were installed in the mid 70s are these numbers and letters etched on the metal strips between panes, CARAD SSB-2-74 SIGMA 114. the balancers are about 25" long with a plastic tube and a long spring inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Identify balancers-window-balancers-001.jpg   Identify balancers-window-balancers-002.jpg   Identify balancers-window-balancers-003.jpg  

jam486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Identify balancers

Probably will not find that gadget anymore. Any info on the windows, such as a manufacturer plate? Cheap windows come with cheap parts. This home is not by chance in a large scale tract community, or one of the manufactured type homes, that they would truck the walls on site already completed, then assembly on site.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Identify balancers

No there was no other info on the windows. The windows are in a 1974 addition added to a 1840s Greek revival house. Further research has shown the windows may be from a company called Caradco. It seems they were sold in the 70s as a less expensive alternative to Andersons etc. The tube is approx. 5/8" in diameter and there is a corresponding round groove in the sides of the sash. If I cannot find replacements I may be able to use a more modern spiral balance.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Identify balancers

I would try to use a alternative replacement, that can stand up. Also, almost 40 year old windows means that they are not going to be the best air sealed windows, and at this point may need to be updated to better window units, that can help keep your heating and cooling bills down, plus have better hardware that can be replaced if it breaks down the road in 20-30 years, than something that is throw-away.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jam486 (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #5

Identify balancers

Thanks for response, You are right about the air leaks, at some time outside storm windows were added. They must stay for a while due to priority of projects. Due to a Rainy day here in Maine I was able to finally identify them. They seem to be carried by Strybuc industries in their obsolete section. I will call them today and ask about price and availability. The windows were made by Caradco. The price will determine if I use them or modify the windows.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Identify balancers

I keep our storms closed when the windows are closed. Helps to keep the house cooler during Summer, with the a/c running.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

Identify balancers

We do not need AC here in Maine to often, but when I do use it I close storms. I found the balance I needed, but because they are obsolete they cost $25 to $32.50 per balance. Caldwell manufacturing makes a spiral balance conversion kit for 1/2 that price so it looks like conversion is a viable option.