DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ideas For Bedroom Windows

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  HomeSealed 
#1 ·
Attatched are a couple of photos of a the window that the four bedrooms have.
At this time the bedrooms have a single pane dual slider in aluminum casing/frame. Whoever and whenever the previous owner installed these, there was no consideration of insulation, flashing, or weather proofing these frames. All of the windows produce heavy condensation when the weather is cold/humid. These replaced the original windows, which from some minor discovery were all wood casing... They simply removed the middle stop to install the new ones.
So at this time Im crazed for ideas. I would like not replacement windows, but new construction windows. Everything from the casing, down to the frame, along with exterior siding will be replaced. The measurements are 72"X48". Most of the neighbors who have had these replaced have gone with the simple slider from Depot or Wowes. I dont want that. Too generic. I was thinking two single hungs, next to each other? Maybe with some wall inbetween? Im stumped on ideas. What is ideal for bedrooms?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Complete replacement of aluminum frame windows can be difficult depending on the exterior siding. Very difficult(not impossible) if brick. The siding around the window needs to be removed, since the windows frame is nailed(nailing flange) from the outside. From and energy standpoint this is a good way to reduce any air flow from the outside during installation, but expensive in labor. New construction windows come with nail fins so it is easy to install them with the siding off. Vinyl replacement windows simplify the process considerably, but does not address the old aluminum frame problem.

I am a major fan of Andersen 400 windows, but there are also good vinyl windows on the market, just none at big box stores.

#3 ·
Do check out Anderson---find a dealer--Anderson now makes custom sizes,I just ordered one for a brick opening-----A dealer will (should any way) handle the order and advise you on the size--might even come out for a measure up.

#4 ·
Siding is easy, its just stucco over metal lathe. The alum window will be a snap to remove, they just fit into the wooden frame where the previous wooden window sashes were. Which is what I will also be removing. My dilema is all asthetics, nothing construction-wise. I need opinion on the style of window(s).

#5 ·
I assume that you mean slider versus double hung versus casement. I happen to like casement windows, because I think they seal better, and are more secure. They also can add a certain attractiveness, depening on the style of home. I do not care for casements on older style homes, nor where the lawn comes close to the house, because they are easy to walk into or raise up under. Depending on the size, they also may not provide adequate egress for a bedroom. For homes on gravel roads, or near agricultural land, I do not like sliders, because there is constanly grit on the surface on which the windows slide. Sliders can also be a bit harder to buy curtains or drapes for, as the breeze comes along the sides of the opening. Double hung windows are probably the easiest to maintain, and the most versatile, in regard to styles of homes that they compliment. Just a few of one persons opinions.

#6 ·
The existing windows do not appear to meet minimum egress (escape) in case of fire. (Unless the center fixed pane is movable).

You will be limited to slider or casement, I doubt a single or double hung will meet egress because of the frame size reducing the height requirement. Existing appears to an opening of 16", far from the minimum of 20"; http://illowaicc.org/uploadedFiles/Illowa/Codes/Emergency%20Escape%20Rescue%20Openings.pdf Ask the window dealer or salesperson for "egress" windows in the bedrooms.

Gary

#8 ·
If it were me and cost were no object I would install three double-hung windows in a row, if the proportions of that opening are accurate. I say that without having any clue as to the style of the rest of the house. A picture from the outside, looking at the whole side of the house where these windows are located would be helpful.

Two side-by-side windows are going to look chunky and oddly wide. Three together will make the room look taller because they will have a more vertical quality to them.

No matter what you do I would not close off part of the opening; more light is always better IMHO.

#9 ·
For cost: sliders are best.
For efficiency: casements are best.
For looks: that is completely subjective. It is even more difficult to comment on since we have no idea about the style of your home, what the rest of the neighborhood looks like, etc.
Egress requirements are a consideration as well, as Gary mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.