How To Replace Rotten Window Sills Without Replacing Window? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038

How to replace rotten window sills without replacing window?

I would like to take out the rotten window sills, which seem to be 4x6, replace them and put flashing over. Can it be done without removing the whole window, i.e. how do you keep the window in place while taking it out and replacing?

How to replace rotten window sills without replacing window?-forumrunner_20140615_120554.jpg

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I used a multi tool! The vibration cutter. You can cut out the sill. Then replace the sill with the proper sized treated lumber! Take your time and pay attention. The sill in most cases will not be nominal sized lumber and that means you will need the use of a plainer to bring in the proper size! I have also repaired rotted portions of the sill using Bondo! Used primarily for automotive repair. I cut out the rotted pockets of wood, then mix the compound following the manufactures directions. I use wood strips or wood scraps on the sill to box in the rough form of the sill your trying to replace. You must work quickly with the mixed resin because it hardens fast. Once hardened you shave and sand it to proper dimension and prime and paint like normal lumber. I've used this technique on bay windows and normal sized windows! The people were told they will need tp replace at a severe cost of course. I've had opportunity to go back after several years and check the repair and have never found any failed repairs. The customers are throughly satisfied with the recovery method and the much lower cost! I hope this gives you the inexpensive way out as I'm sure it will. USN (ret)

Advertisement

Gunnersmategmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunnersmategmc For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,300

+1

Not impossible by any means. Just requires some carpentry skills and fabrication.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote