Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Share |

how to open garage door when power is out?

How do I open garage door driven by electrical garage door openner during power outage?
The garage door openner is electrically chain pull type.
The door is tie to spring loaded cable and wheel. See photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
how to open garage door when power is out?-dscn3368.jpg   how to open garage door when power is out?-dscn3369.jpg   how to open garage door when power is out?-dscn3370.jpg   how to open garage door when power is out?-dscn3367.jpg   how to open garage door when power is out?-dscn3366.jpg  

young707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
DIY staff

Do you see the chain with a ring hanging down from the opener,right where it meets the door lift bracket? Pull on that and the lift bracket will slide free----that's it---the lifter will catch the bracket when you operate the machine and you will be hooked up again--
HomeSealed (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Windows & Remodeling

What he said ^^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Yes, the power is off. I pull the ring-to-chain to unlatch/dis-engage the push-pull mechanism that is driven by the electric garage door openner motor screw shaft.

I know some of the old type of garage door, I can just pull the garage door and flip it open.

But, this one would not move a bit.

No, this is not available in our local library.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
DIY staff

That is the release ---get on a ladder and look at it as you pull---is the latch opening?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
DIY staff

That was rather long to read---

OP--have you pulled hard on that chain? Do you have a helper to lift while you pull?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That was rather long to read---

OP--have you pulled hard on that chain? Do you have a helper to lift while you pull?
That is why you like me Mike. I am thinking that assembly may be frozen, or the Torsion spring is out of adjustment, if they cannot get it to release.

I do not see any problem with them calling a reputable garage door company to come and look it over, and balance the door, along with checking out everything on it. If the previous owner did not keep up on the maintenance, and looking at the OP previous questions, they got left holding the proverbial Cat in the bag on this place.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

Lots of nice pictures but none of where you release it.
So we can see why your having trouble.
Should be just a quick hard tug and it releases.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Joe, They may be able to get a large headed flat head screw driver in there, to help push down on that latch. If they are not able to pull down on that chain and release, it is either frozen in place, due to not being "exercised' every six months, along with greased, but could be that there is a lot of weight pushing against it, from the opener, and that could also be why it is not releasing.

At the angle the bar is at, which it should not be at almost vertical, that is half the problem right there.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #10

Greg,
you're on the right track. If the down limit is set just a tad too much, the opener will have tension on the track when the door is closed. If the tension is too much, it can make the release hard to pull. I haven't run across any releases that were frozen in place. Even on some very old openers. If the owner was to raise the door off the floor and stop it anywhere above there, even in the fully open position, the release should pull down easily. If it does, the down limit just needs to be backed off just a tad.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #11

Yes, when I pull the ring downward, it clickes, the latch is dis-engaged. If I pull the ring side way forward, the latch will engage.

After the power comes back on, I pull this ring downward, the latch dis-engaged, the motor screw keeps turning without pulling the garage door.

I turn the power off, still unable to manually pull the garage door open with the motor screw latch dis-engaged.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by young707
Yes, when I pull the ring downward, it clickes, the latch is dis-engaged. If I pull the ring side way forward, the latch will engage.

After the power comes back on, I pull this ring downward, the latch dis-engaged, the motor screw keeps turning without pulling the garage door.

I turn the power off, still unable to manually pull the garage door open with the motor screw latch dis-engaged.
Try it with the door open. Be careful. If your door spring is not tensioned correctly the door will be heavy as you start to pull it down. Don't stand directly beneath the door.
gregzoll (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by young707 View Post

The whole idea of that latch, is so you can disengage the opener mechanism from pulling the door up, so you can pull it up manually.

That is all it is there for. Reengaging it just shows that the mechanism is working and not frozen or stuck.

Basically you would pull the door up, with the Torsion spring assisting. When you push the button on the garage door opener, it will pull back the chain or cable for the plate that engages back with that mechanism at the top of the arm, so you can use the opener to open and close the door.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by young707 View Post

Your tests show that the trolley is disconnecting and reconnecting just fine, but you still can't lift the door.....

I would bet the door arm is simply adjusted too short. Looking at the pics it looks as though the trolley is too far forward, vertical or maybe even over center instead of leaning back toward the opener motor.

When you release the trolley and try to manually pick up the door, the trolley may be trying to move toward the door instead of voluntarily moving toward the motor, effectively wedging the door shut. Have someone pull the release AND pull the arm back away from the door as you try to pick the door up manually.

It may be as simple as just lengthening the arm out a couple sets of holes and re-engaging the mechanism, as long as the travel limit switches are built into the motor unit. If the limit switches are on the rail and activated by the trolley, as some Genie models are, then the switches would need to be adjusted also. Some better pics of the opener and/or brand and model info would be necessary to help you make the adjustments.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

thankyou, djlandkpl
lo & behold, I have the garage door opened, turn off power, dis-engage the latch to the motor screw drive. I can manually pull the garage door down to close it.
I can pull the door up and down, as long as the door is NOT all the way down shut.

However, once I have the garage door down shut, (without power and dis-engaged latch) I cannot pull it back up again. Looking for some kind of lock or hook or latch, I cannot find it. I am not certain the locking device is inside cable - pulley system. Unable to verify if that is correct.