How Much Wood In A Foam Core Door? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

how much wood in a foam core door?

How much wood in the top and bottom of a foam core exterior door? I have to cut one down rather drastically, I'm guessing about 8" total without measuring.

Advertisement

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

all the ones i've seen have about 1 1/2" around the perimeter and a 3-4" block where the door knobs are. if you are cutting 8" from the bottom all there will be is foam.

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 536

Far better to reframe the opening or replace it with a soild ext. wood door slab.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

The opening can not be re-framed enough to matter without changing the roof line.

I already have the door. I picked it up at a garage sale 2 years back for another project that got abandoned.

I thought they had a little more wood on the top and bottom for trimming, or is that just interior doors? I was hoping I could cut some from the top and some from the bottom, and not run into foam. I guess I'll end up reconstructing it after the cut. Basically I am thinking; cut out enough foam to shove some wood wood back into the opening, then nail/screw/glue or whatever it back together.

The old door is a home made job with rotten hinge anchors, lead paint and loose sheet metal over it.
its got to go.

Worst case, I'll make a door out of cedar, but the foam core door would match the house better.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #5

Reconstructing it would work. Maybe you'll get lucky when you cut it. Else just peel apart the off cuts and proceed appropriately. Last one I did had just under two inches top and just over three bottom. If it has panels moulded into it, cutting it down can throw off the proportions in an unattractive way but if it's flat not a big deal.
Also, if you are cutting near the hinges, be careful how you secure or re secure any reinforcement in that area.

Last edited by Evstarr; 05-14-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

unfortunately, it has panels. The other door that I have that doesn't is too wide. I am hoping I can just slice off one section, but I have my doubts. That is another reason I was thinking of cutting both the top and bottom. I certainly couldn't re-manufacture if it lands in the middle of a panel.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Exterior doors generally have more wood than the hollow interior doors, but 8" is a ton of material to cut away. Anything can be done of course, you just may not get the fit and finish that you'd like. Personally, I'd sell that door and order one that is the proper size.

Advertisement