How To Install Exterior One Way Glass? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
How to install exterior one way glass?

Hi,

I am planning to install one way glass on the exterior windows of my home primarily to reduce some of the heat entering.

The guy who is contracted to carry out the work suggested to install the windows with the mirror finish on the inside so as to prevent outside birds from pecking at their reflection on the window.

Will the orientation of the mirror surface effect the heat reflective property of the window?

Advertisement

dhawald3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,022

There are heat rejection films and coatings.

If your current windows are okay, look at one of the many applied films from 3M.

If your windows are due for replacement, look for a window with Low-e.

Do not remove and try to replace glass.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

The reflective coating reflects the heat back towards the source ... so if you want to reduce heat gain, the reflective coating would need to be on the exterior.

Whether you are using film or actual one one glass, you need to be aware that during the day (while it is brighter outside than in) the glass will look like a mirror from outside and people will not be able to see in. However at night (when it is dark outside and you have the lights on inside) the glass will have the opposite affect, allowing people to see and it to look like a mirror from the inside.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I13A6NO is one way film that I have used in the past on my patio doors. I just made sure to have outside lights above my door while I have the lights on in the living room.
allston513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,022

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass , heat , one way , reflective , window