Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

How to Fit a Security Door?

I wanted to install a security door on my side garage door. I am not sure if I have to remove the inside molding of the frame (if it comes off). I could add some additional wood to the frame by nailing on additional boards to the frame.

Any advise on what is the best approach (see photos)
Attached Thumbnails
How to Fit a Security Door?-door-frame.jpg   How to Fit a Security Door?-door-frame-2.jpg  
Attached Images

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

The outer dimensions of the steel door frame will determine what has to be done. If it fits over the brickmolding that is where it attaches. Some people do not like anchoring them to just brickmold and fasten them all way in to the jamb.

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
The outer dimensions of the steel door frame will determine what has to be done. If it fits over the brickmolding that is where it attaches. Some people do not like anchoring them to just brickmold and fasten them all way in to the jamb.
So it the door attached to the inside brickmolding? Or is the brickmolding just on the outside of the house.

Attaching to the brickmold on the outside is ok, but the brickmold looks very thin, so I will have to see if the door screws fit comfortably on the brickmold. I guess I could add an additional board on the inside of the brickmold for more support.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

I measured the door opening and it was 80 x 32. And that would fit the door in the jamb. But the measurement of the space on the jamb is only 1/2 inch.

If I fit the door on the outside, there is a 1 inch space. But the measurement across is 34 inches.

Home Depot and Lowes has doors that are 32 and 36. I didn't measure the door at the store, but not sure if a 36 is really 34 inches across or really 36.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #5

watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLC337bC8SQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ixq...eature=related
epson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security door