DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   How do I replace this window? (

drew15a 03-27-2013 07:18 PM

How do I replace this window?
3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

A window in my three seasons room is broken and will need to be replaced. The room was put up in the 60's and the manufacturer no longer exists. I am not sure if these windows come off. I've messed around with it was have been unable to figure it out. The bottom window does slide all the way up. The top window seems like it might, but I was unable to slide it all the way down (it might be stuck). The is the most I can offer as description. I have attached three pictures.

Thank you for your responses.


joecaption 03-28-2013 06:48 AM

Ok, so what's broken? The glass in the window or the aluminum frame?
The glass is held in place with the rubber gasket.
Going to need tempered glass or Lexan.

Windows on Wash 03-28-2013 07:13 AM

Looks pretty much like a storm window.

Typically the frame is notched in a location to get the window out of the tracks and off the pins.

Often times you can slide them up to a certain point and you will be able to see how they can be tilted out/removed from the tracks.

drew15a 03-28-2013 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
joecaption - the glass is broken. I thought that if I could take the entire window off the track I could bring it somewhere to get the glass replaced.

Windows on the wash- The tracks have no breaks in them. It does appear that they it will tilt out. I have attached a pic of the track.

If I cannot get the window off the track, is replacing the glass while on the track possible?

framer52 03-28-2013 05:28 PM

The two bottom latch need to be pulled to the middle at the same time. This will allow you to pull the window to the inside of the room and then you tilt it to take the pane out.

If you don't understand call a glass company and they will someone out to remove the sash and install new glass in the sash.

Andiy 04-06-2013 10:19 PM


It's a little difficult to tell everything from your pictures. From picture 1, it appears to be a wraparound frame and gasket. There should be one screw in each corner that holds the frame together. Inside the frame is a U shaped gasket that wraps around the glass, and then the frame is assembled around that. Since the glass is not shattered, you can get a good measurement on the replacement glass and just order that from your local glass shop; fixing these windows is a piece of cake. Trust me, I've repaired hundreds and hundreds of them. Also, you definitely do not have to replace this glass with tempered, plexi, or whatever. It looks like single-strength (3/32") glass to me, and is not in a door, so safety glass is not required. It is kinda tough to tell from the pic how the window comes out of that track, as there appears to be quite an overlap on the interior side. Most of them are quite easy to figure out though. The channels look pretty deep - are there some kind of compression "springs" that keep the window centered? If so, you just slide the window to one side or the other to allow the opposite side to pop out. Is there some kind of removable interior face to the framing? I've seen that before too. There were a lot of "creative" window manufacturers in the 50's and 60's especially. ;) I see that it is not the typical "pull the two latches and the window pops out" system. Unfortunately it is hard to tell from your pics. Good luck.

HomeSealed 04-07-2013 06:05 AM

Can't say for certain, but you probably need to disassemble the sash to replace the glass. Remove as described a few posts up and you'll probably find some fasteners in the corners.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1