Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

How Do I Replace This Glass?

How would one replace this broken piece of glass? It's time to clean up this window and step one is to replace this broken piece. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and have to problem de-soldering and re-soldering, but i can't figure out how i would remove and put in the new piece.

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

I take it that it is lead caning. You will most likely have to take the whole unit off, and take it to a place that does stained glass to have it replaced. While they are at it, they will re-lead the whole panel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

you replace from the outside,there will be glazing compound that needs to be removed first

post some pics from there
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (10-29-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Look at the outside, but I think gregzo got this one. It looks like a wood frame with an insert. You may have to remove the whole sash or insert for repair.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

sorry it took so long to reply. This is a pic of the upper part of the window but it looks the same below.

This is a 10ft long 7ft high section of window, I'm not even sure if i did remove it from the frame if i could get it out in one piece
Yes, the outer edges are glazed, however how do you replace one of the inner pieces?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

You would not remove it, the company that you would hire to fix it, would do it.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You would not remove it, the company that you would hire to fix it, would do it.

Ouch, and on a DIY forum too.

In that case I think i'll gather up the pieces of glass that broke, (still have all the pieces none are very small) and glue them back in so i don't have a hole in my window. I'll wait until a few other panels brake before I see what the cost to replace these will be.

Or maybe it's time for me to start learning how to build leaded glass windows.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxrunner View Post
Ouch, and on a DIY forum too.

Or maybe it's time for me to start learning how to build leaded glass windows.
It's not easy to repair this right---

That lead caim (sp) is very narrow --the window would likely need to be taken apart--

There are times that the channel around the broken section can be cut away using a sharp knife (it's just soft lead or lead covered copper foil)

A new glass cut to fit---edges wrapped in copper foil and then soldered in.

If you are a really arty craftsy person you could do this---but without a junk window to practice on I think your first attempt will be disappointing.

---Mike---
Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

linuxrunner, there are just some things that you can not diy, unless you do it professional, or do it as a hobby full time, and have the experience. I would not even tackle something like this, it would a call for three bids and get it fixed. You may want to check with your local community college, if the art department does stained glass. Otherwise, if you want to replace, check with local glass shops for a replacement double pane that size.