Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

How do I adjust this old pocket door hardware?

Recently purchased 1903 Victorian. Double pocket doors, one side works great, the other drags on the floor so can't be opened and shut. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this particular hardware. I'd like to know if turning that adjustment screw OUT would pull the door higher. Right now it is screwed all the way in. I know the obvious answer is to adjust it and see what happens, but the door is super heavy and difficult to work with, and the hardware is old and I don't want to play around with it unnecessarily. That hanging piece clips onto the top of the door (there's one in front, one in back) and holds it up. The further that clip is screwed out and away from the body of the piece, the further away the wheel will be from the edge of the door. Will that lift the door higher? I just don't get how this should work. Pix attached. Any advice is most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I adjust this old pocket door hardware?-fire-009.jpg   How do I adjust this old pocket door hardware?-fire-013.jpg   How do I adjust this old pocket door hardware?-fire-017.jpg  

ddavissn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
STAFF

I may be wrong but it looks like the screw devise is sitting at an angle and the further it is screwed out the further down that end of the door would go. Is that correct? Is the screw devise part of the rollers?

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #3

No, the screw is not angled. It just goes "in & out" straight. That hanging clip snaps onto a piece on the top of the door (one in front, one in back). This is part of the roller...it's all one piece/mechanism. So it seems like the more you screw that clip out, the further away the roller will be from the edge of the door. It's not a simple "higher & lower" system, that's what's so confusing to me. When that clip is on, it lays flat on top of the door. I'm wondering if the further the screw is out (consequently the further the roller is from each edge), if that creates a pull that lifts the door up higher. I hope I'm making myself clear.
ddavissn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavissn View Post
No, the screw is not angled. It just goes "in & out" straight. That hanging clip snaps onto a piece on the top of the door (one in front, one in back). This is part of the roller...it's all one piece/mechanism. So it seems like the more you screw that clip out, the further away the roller will be from the edge of the door. It's not a simple "higher & lower" system, that's what's so confusing to me. When that clip is on, it lays flat on top of the door. I'm wondering if the further the screw is out (consequently the further the roller is from each edge), if that creates a pull that lifts the door up higher. I hope I'm making myself clear.
That is what I was thinking but didn't know how to explain it. It is worth a try.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, pocket door, pocket doors, victorian