Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

Horizontal slide windows leaking in lower corner

Hi all, the title pretty much sums it up. I've got two horizontal sliding windows on the upper story of my house. The corners seem to leak when it rains and it is saturating the old panel walls on the inside. I'd like to take the paneling out and put in drywall but not with leaky windows. The windows are less than 10 years old. The only thing I can think of is that the tracks are holding water and it is draining through the corners of the window and into the house. I can double check, but it appears that the windows are caulked correctly on the outside. The weep holes between the tracks and out to the outside are not blocked by anything. I included a pic of the tracks and another of the leak damage that I've chipped away at. The window for this leaky side sits on the outside (right) track. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

scottyv81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

post a picture of the outside, not a close up just include the whole window.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Sorry, got distracted for a few days. The lower right corner of the right window and lower left corner of the left window are leaking. I have the same windows in four other locations in the house and they don't leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Horizontal slide windows leaking in lower corner-image-655510077.jpg   Horizontal slide windows leaking in lower corner-image-818778213.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

So the more I look at this, seems the best route might be to take trim off and see if the correct waterproofing, caulk, etc was installed to keep the window from leaking?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Mod

Before you tear anything apart, first dump a cup or two of water into the track to see if the water is draining out of the weep holes and second, Id do a hose test outside to see if I could make it leak before I would tear anything apart.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Thanks, good call, I guess it does make more sense to find out where exactly it's coming from before making a mess of things.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

OK, I did a leak test as recommended. The drains in the track are not plugged and readily drained the water. I then closed the window and tried to mimic wind/rain by pouring water down from the outside where the window stile seals up against the jamb (poured down red line in picture). I left it for a few minutes, came back, and the wood on the inside looked like it did in the pic on the right in my original post. So it seems that the water is getting in somewhere in the area circled in red. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks again.
Attached Images