Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |

Hinge issue with screen door

I have a screen door that fits over my front door. A little while ago we noticed it coming loose from the top hinge and then finally falling free from it. It looks like this has happened before and the previous homeowner fixed it by using fatter screws to get into the stripped holes of the frame. Any ideas on how to fix this? I don't think I can really use much larger screws because the holes are already rather large and the larger screw heads will get in the way between the door and frame.

I've attached some pictures. Thanks.

These are the three holes that the screws popped out of.

The hinge built into the frame.
BrandonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

Washer??
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Hard to tell from that picture what's going wrong here.
A couple of guesses would be the wood is rotten or insect damaged and your going to need to replace it. I would have gone with longer screws not fatter so I'd be sure to hit wood.
Is there a safety chain on that door to keep it from opening to far? If not looks like that may be part of the problum.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=2
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Joe, sorry the pics don't show it well but the screws pulled from the hollow aluminum screen door, not from the wood door frame. It pulled loose from the door. The only thing I can think of is to possibly drill new holes in the hinge to get to fresh metal in the door or possibly use some sort of tiny wing bolt that'll expand within the door.
BrandonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

drill new holes in the hinge. Do not use those self tapper screws, drill and size proper screws. Not sure how toggle bolts would work. I fear they would keep loosing up over time.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

screws just a little bigger than what was in before will work and get metal screws as opposed to wood screws as was used in there before. metal screws work best with metal doors, and you are probably looking at a #8 screw...or #10 if it will fit.

even better, get some self drilling screws and do not even use the same holes and just self drill 3 new screws through the hinge and into the door. be mindful that the screws do not interfere with how the door closes when fully closed. if the screws stick out to much they will bind when the door fully closes...

Last edited by hand drive; 02-24-2013 at 10:41 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote