DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help Removing Old Schlage Locking Mech

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  de-nagorg 
#1 ·
Hi,

Did a search on the net to no avail. We purchased a house that has a couple of doors that have a old Schlage door lock set on them. I am able to remove the knobs but the actual latch assembly is nothing I have ever seen before and I am at a loss how to remove it.

Attached are the images.

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Break any varnish seal around the latch on the door edge, find something that will fit inside the knob hole to act as a punch and smack it with a hammer. Once you push it out a bit any pliers should allow you to pull it the rest of the way.

Hint: a disposal wrench may work as the punch.

That hole looks a bit undersized so you may have to modify both holes to mount a new lock. I predict you will utter some new words as you work on that.

#5 ·
Nope it is a press fit item.

It was pushed in and set with a mallet.

The way that I have found easiest was to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a small socket on it, insert in the big hole, with the socket against the latch, then a big screwdriver to lever against the ratchet, pushing the latch out far enough to grab with locking pliers, then pull.

ED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.