Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help - New House Build!

Greetings,

My home burned to the ground last year and I am in the uncomfortable position of dealing with the disaster, insurance and my contractor. I have faith in the GC because they work a lot with insurance companies, but feel like I'm being kept in the dark on some items, especially windows.

First of all, I find it very frustrating trying to get basic pricing information on windows and doors. Everything online points me to 'free consultations'. My GC has specified $470 per window - double hung - including labor.

I can't get a breakdown on the labor cost per window, but I can't imaging it is much more than $150 per, leaving me with at least a $250 window.

I guess they are quoting the double-hung as an average despite the design calling for various other types like casement, awning and such. I would hope these are in the same pricing ballpark or less.

So they pointed me at the Andersen 100 series. It appears that that line doesn't offer double-hung. Now they suggest Silverline, of course not specifying the 1200, 8500 or 9500 series.

The online opinion on Silverline seems to be generally low, especially for my location in southern New York. The GC has tried to steer me from wood, saying that it will require additional labor to finish it.

Other than the expected 'ditch your GC, they're a thief' responses, can anyone shed some light on average pricing for a good, but not extravagent window?

Thanks in advance.

kfree2 is offline   Reply With Quote