Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

Help ive messed up

Ok so it's like this I'm no DIY guru and after this last stint I'm never gonna be. I bought some cheap doors 33 by 80 when my old door was 32 by 78 shaved them down half inch all round but doors are hollow and now hung two days in and both are coming away at the top hinges obviously not enough wood left in the door to hold the screws Aghhhh what can I do please anyone help help help (do I throw them away and start again or is there something I or someone can do)

Andleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
STAFF

Help ive messed up

If you have a table saw you can rip some strips of wood and replace the thin wood there now. Use a thin putty knife and run around the edges carefully to break the glue bond loose from the skin. Remove the thin wood and install the new strips, glue and clamp or at least weight the edges down to get a good glued bond. Let the doors set over night sand and clean up the edges. I would advise saving the pieces out of the hinge side so you will know the location of the hinges. Buying new doors will only get you back to where you are now unless you buy the jambs and all.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Help ive messed up

Yeah you can fix this,

Take the doors off the hinges. Find a way to cut out the section that is already coming off (Should pull of nicely)

Find a section of wood or rip a piece of wood that fits in the slot snug, slap some wood glue on it and put it into place, maybe stick some finish nails in it too.

Let it sit overnight with some clamps on it and hang it back up

Make sense?

I did this when I cut some bi-fold doors to fit one time. I cut them up and then realized they were hollow lol!
You can also use the piece you cut off if you still have it as a good template.
Lavid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Help ive messed up

Nice one dreading buying more doors!

Ok so do I take the whole length of the thin wood and replace it or just where the hinges will go?

would you say 40mm deep wood piece are ok or too much so when door goes back on the screws will go deep enough?
any particular glue in mind?
Andleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Help ive messed up

ANy good wood glue will do. When you knock out the old piece, just use that width + the (half inch right?) half an inch that you sliced off and that will be the width that you should use. It won't hurt to go a little overkill.

The piece also plays a part in the integrity of the door, so run it all the way down not just where the hinges go.
Lavid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Help ive messed up

For the clamping get some 2x4 that in bowed slightly, so that when you lay it flat on the door (both sides) and clamp the ends it pulls together.

Use straight grained knot free wood, fir is good. Not regular 2x4 lumber.
I usually do the whole length, I guess you could do say 3" above and delow the hinge locations only, may be harder to get piece out.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
STAFF

Help ive messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andleb View Post
Nice one dreading buying more doors!

Ok so do I take the whole length of the thin wood and replace it or just where the hinges will go?

would you say 40mm deep wood piece are ok or too much so when door goes back on the screws will go deep enough?
any particular glue in mind?
Either the way I said or Lavid2002 said. It would be less involving and easier if you did it the way Lavid2002 said. Any good wood glue, Elmer's Carpenter's glue or Titebond.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 01-26-2012 at 07:16 PM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote