Help!!!! Installing Windows Side By Side...we Need Lots Of Advice!! - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help!!!! Installing windows side by side...we need lots of advice!!

We are currently working on refurbishing a 1950s house. We have already installed all of the new replacement windows and are stuck on the front windows. Please forgive me if i am using the wrong terminology as I am very new to this. I am going to try and attach a picture of the current front windows and then a picture of the new windows. We already purchased them and HAVE to make it work. We have been reading some debate over mulled windows and unmulled. Not sure that we want to figure out how to use a kit and mull them ourselves or even take them to get mulled. So we are ok with having a larger gap between them or any other option. The new windows are new construction and have the nail flanges around the outside just like the picture i attached. We just need framing advice and any other advice you may have. Thank you soooo much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!!!! Installing windows side by side...we need lots of advice!!-image-2431352327.jpg   Help!!!! Installing windows side by side...we need lots of advice!!-image-1172858658.jpg  

Advertisement

domano0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Mull kits are not complex.

You have either and "H" mull or a zero mull clip.

Who is the manufacturer of the windows.

If those openings were larger, I would be more inclined to support that opening on the jambs with some additional framing but that is a small'ish opening for a twin or triple double hung and the presence of a nailing flange mean that it will be well supported the full perimeter.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

I'm confused, did you order new windows that will fit the rough opening you already had, or for some reason you trying to make smaller windows fit in that big hole making far more work for yourself?
Are the new windows at least shorter or the same height as the old ones?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #4

Thank you for your replies. I'm a bit confused about the first reply...not sure what the wording means? Or are u just saying it would be better and easier to use the mulling kit? The windows are Crestline brand..purchased at Menards. As for the second reply...we measured out the general rough opening and have 20" to play with horizontally and 10" vertically. We assumed to account for any framing in between the windows. We were initially thinking we would just build framing in the opening attach the windows to the framing and finish with siding in between on the outside and drywall on the inside. But after reading a bunch of posts we think for some reason others recommend not doing that. Will it cause problems to install them that way or is it better to use a mull kit? Is it just a matter of preference? or is there some kind of weatherproofing/structural issue?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

A mull kit (mullion) is a T-shaped plastic or wood strip--along with fasteners--that is used to join windows together---

Go to the manufacturer and ask about a 'mull kit' or post the name of the make for us--and someone will explain---

The nailing flange is removed to install the kit. For a fee--the window supplier will gang the windows together for you using that 'mull kit'
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

With those measurements, you will need to add framing one way or the other. The easiest thing to do would probably be your original plan of framing between the two rather than mulling them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (07-16-2012), oh'mike (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 602

I also would suggest framing between the windows. Make it at least 6" to make it easyer to install siding.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Ok perfect!! Thank you!! All of your replies have helped us! I think we will be framing in between. And knowing we need the 6" in between for easier siding is exactly what we needed to know.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano0775 View Post
Ok perfect!! Thank you!! All of your replies have helped us! I think we will be framing in between. And knowing we need the 6" in between for easier siding is exactly what we needed to know.
You don’t “need” 6”, don’t go less than 3” though.

Think about how you want things to trim out (inside and out) when deciding on the spacing.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

If you have 20" of space, I'd just put the full 20" in between them as long as it looks okay. It would minimize the amount of work compared to dividing that space up... If you want them close, then the original suggestion of mulling them would probably be best.... Just my $.02.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Definitely look at your interior trim choices before you make the final decision. You don't want 2 side casings butting together and a tiny 3/4" or 1" gap between casings looks silly and is difficult to fill and paint.

With 20" I would set them evenly in the space.

Last edited by Evstarr; 07-16-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #12

Ok the further info helps a TON. And you're right. We do need to think about the interior space as well and because it's in the living room and a sort of 'showcase' in the room we don't want it to look silly. We haven't even purchased/thought of what sort of 'casing' or trim we are going to do on the interiors of any of the windows. We are the perfect definition of rookie 'DYIers' haha. As you can tell
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,020

We can help you in that respect; leave the bottom window flange bare; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...researchreport

Like a pro; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gement-details

Gary

Advertisement