Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Share |

heavy rain floods glass slider doors and comes inside.

I have two 9' glass slidder doors by my pool. When it rains hard the outside drain in front of the slidders can't drain the water fast enough so the rain water spills over into the slidder strip which then seeps into the house. This is the stupidest design I have ever seen. There is a hurricaine bearing down on us in 2 days with a promise of much rain. Need to fix now.

bonster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonster1 View Post
I have two 9' glass slidder doors by my pool. When it rains hard the outside drain in front of the slidders can't drain the water fast enough so the rain water spills over into the slidder strip which then seeps into the house. This is the stupidest design I have ever seen. There is a hurricaine bearing down on us in 2 days with a promise of much rain. Need to fix now.
Welcome to the world of sliders.

I've got the exact same problem as you do. All the homes in the area I live in have the exact same problem. I've contacted the window manufacturer, as have my neighbors, and we got the same response. They say it is part of the design and in heavy rains there is nothing they can do about it.

After much research I have determined that SLIDERS ARE JUNK!!!

By design, they leak the most air and let in the most amount of bugs and water. French doors or casement windows is the way to go. I will NEVER ever buy another home that has sliding windows or doors. Stupid design.

My advice, get the towels out and get ready to soak up the water....

Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 08-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackOfAllTrades For This Useful Post:
bonster1 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

bonster -

Maybe it is time to look at the size of your gutters and downspouts to get the water away. Since you are apparently in a warm climate close to the hurricane potential, heavy rains can be expected annually.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
bonster1 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Best you can probably do right now is sandbag the area in front of the doors to try and direct some I the water elsewhere.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Maybe it is time to look at the size of your gutters and downspouts to get the water away. Since you are apparently in a warm climate close to the hurricane potential, heavy rains can be expected annually.
This is probably the salient point at the moment. In many cases, it is more effective to address a drainage issue the to address a leak issue. If you give the water somewhere to go that has less resistance than going into your house, then you could have an open screen for a door and you still won't get water. I have some holes in my foundation that my dog could walk through (that I am in the middle of fixing). You can see right through to the dirt, but there is no water coming in. The land slopes away from the house and the downspouts have diverters to direct the water away. If my downspout just dumped the water at the base of the foundation, I would have Noah's Ark in the basement every time it rained.

Is there anything you can do to increase the drainage from that area, or at lest make sure the drain you have is clear and in optimal working order? As was suggested I would consider sandbags if you have very heavy rains on the way.

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LMHmedchem For This Useful Post:
bonster1 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Let me guess, the deck is level with the door, not at leat 4" below the dooor opening per code.
There is no sill pan under the door. Join the club there's 1000's of other people dealing with this just because no one reads the codes.
Post a picture for better help.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
bonster1 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Let me guess, the deck is level with the door, not at leat 4" below the dooor opening per code.
There is no sill pan under the door. Join the club there's 1000's of other people dealing with this just because no one reads the codes.
Post a picture for better help.
There is a thin metal ground drain that runs the perimeter of the pool cage. When the drains cannot handle the flow of rain it spills over into the slidders. The drains are right in front of the sliders so sand bagging is out. It appears that there is no weather stripping in the under section of the slidders. Now that is just plain stupid. I am thinking of getting a metal stripping to run in front of the threshold than would have screws on either end and when this bad weather threatens put them on. Just temprary but I believe it might save me. It is still a red-neck solution to a serious problem. I am also ready to use duck tape just temporarily.
bonster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Exactly my thought as I glanced over at where my sliders used to be 5" above the deck B4 the French doors went in.
Good luck with your metal levee, bonster, seriously. Can you not put sand bags right over the drain just in front of the door?
Ya no this hole tread coulda been writin by me, whut with its slidders and dooors and awl. My spel chek gave up and left me four grinner pastors yeers agoe.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #9

This is what was suppost to be under the door.

Still have not seen a picture of the outside of that door.
If you keep putting off fixing this you can look foward to far more wood damage under that door.
The doors going to need to come out to fix it right.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote