DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Heat resistant tint? (

mrbobdou 07-01-2011 11:47 PM

Heat resistant tint?
I'm in a E/W facing home and would like to get something to help avoid the sun completely heating my room due to the direct sunlight coming into the windows.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of tint I can use, or something I can add onto the outside of the window that will help reflect the massively hot sun.

I live in AZ, and when it's 120 degrees outside, it REALLY beats down on the windows.

Is there something I can do without buying completely new windows?

Thurman 07-02-2011 01:11 AM

There are window films available at the apron stores (Lowe's, HD) which will block out some of the UV rays which create the heat in a room. I did a room at my son's house which was my new grandson's some years back. The film looks to be "mirror-ish" from the outside, and definitely darkened the room from the inside. Putting it on was very easy once I did a few panels. There are other types of this film also available from other sources.

thomasjmarino 07-02-2011 09:40 AM

3M makes a sun blocking tint.
Only problem is you have to have it installed by an authorized installer.
If the company knows what they are doing, it will look like the windows came that way.
A little pricey but should be worth it.
Especially where you live.

mrbobdou 07-03-2011 02:47 PM

Do you know of any specific ones to search for?

I've found some stuff like but I want something more specific for heat resistant, rather than making it impossible to see inside.

windowrepairguy 07-04-2011 02:20 PM

No Such Thing!
There is a absolutely no such thing as heat resistant window tint. Window tinting only provides somewhat of a superficial protection from glare. If you want true energy efficient heat resistance Windows you need to get Windows with low E coatings such as ???????? which is a residential low E capable of breaking down the ultraviolet rays, infrared rays and many of the other harmful rays produced by the sun. This coating is generally applied on the exterior pane in between the glass which is referred to as surface two. This keeps the sun's rays from penetrating into the glass unit unlike conventional window tinting which is applied to the interior pane. This traps heat within the panes of glass generally resulting in seal failure. It is wise to do much research before putting tint on your Windows as this usually voids any warranty that the manufacturer supplies.

mrbobdou 07-05-2011 07:50 PM

Well.. any other ideas?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1