Has Any One Used Andersen Full Frame Replacement Windows? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

has any one used andersen full frame replacement windows?

I have another thread called "need advice on new windows" there I have pictures and express my problem... I came across andersen full frame replacement windows.. has anyone ever used them and do you think they are a solution to my problems? any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks
simon

Advertisement

aticharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

ati, Andersen has some products that are decent, and some that are not so great imo (like the Silverline/American Craftsman). I'm not sure that you are understanding the issue. "Full-frame replacement" is an oxymoron. A full frame window will be 4 9/16 (standard) jamb depth to fit from finished wall to exterior, and will generally come with a nailing fin. They can be screwed in through the jambs if you don't want to use the fins. A "replacement window" will generally be 3 1/4" jamb to fit in the pocket between the interior and exterior stops. These can come with fins if desired as well, although interior jamb extensions are then necessary... Does that offer any clarity?

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
ati, Andersen has some products that are decent, and some that are not so great imo (like the Silverline/American Craftsman). I'm not sure that you are understanding the issue. "Full-frame replacement" is an oxymoron. A full frame window will be 4 9/16 (standard) jamb depth to fit from finished wall to exterior, and will generally come with a nailing fin. They can be screwed in through the jambs if you don't want to use the fins. A "replacement window" will generally be 3 1/4" jamb to fit in the pocket between the interior and exterior stops. These can come with fins if desired as well, although interior jamb extensions are then necessary... Does that offer any clarity?
yes what I am looking for is a window with a sill.. I am just looking for a window that I can install with out removing the siding since I don't want to have to remove the asbestos shingles under my siding... my sills and frames on a few of my windows are too rotted and need to be replaced . I appreciate your help
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Home Performance

Any new window will have a sill and can be installed without a fin, making it unnecessary to remove siding. That said, the fin simplifies water management/flashing, so you'll need to address that properly. If you are tearing the entire frame out, you can install a 4 9/16 window directly, or build a buck frame like I mentioned earlier and use a 3 1/4".
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Any new window will have a sill and can be installed without a fin, making it unnecessary to remove siding. That said, the fin simplifies water management/flashing, so you'll need to address that properly. If you are tearing the entire frame out, you can install a 4 9/16 window directly, or build a buck frame like I mentioned earlier and use a 3 1/4".
I see, do most windows come with holes in the Jams or will I need to drill my own? Thanks very much you have been very very helpful I much appreciate it
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Home Performance

Most come with pre-drilled holes, one in each corner on the sides.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
aticharger (05-15-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, I have used Andersen full frame replacement windows and I do think they are the solution to your problem. Andersen has always been the leader of industry change, and so they are one of the first window manufacturers to come up with a full frame replacement for an application just like the one you are talking about. Not only do they make the full frame replacement window you need, they make it out of low-maintenance composite material, the most advanced window frame material you can buy today.

So, you can get the same look you have now on your home and have a custom-sized, full frame Andersen replacement windows built, with exterior trim and made out of a composite material. You will get strength, durability and beauty, without all the headaches of wood. You will just have to replace your interior trim. Trim comes with the window, but itís better to buy the trim yourself so you can cut it to the exact measurements you need on site during installation.

If you have the luxury of time to do this, take the interior trim off and measure the rough opening. That would be the best way to measure exactly than to guess at it. When you order your window, youíre going to know that you have the right size.

A note of caution on the vinyl siding: make sure that the exterior measurement is from J channel to J channel. The brick mold is going to have exterior trim around it, and you want to be sure that the exterior trim fits between the J channel. You donít want to have cut that J channel back on your siding. When you talk to your Andersen distributor, ask what the exterior dimension is, brick mold to brick mold, then see if that exterior dimension fits between your J channel. If itís too big, you are going to have to shrink the interior measurement down a bit and then shim it out and cover it with your trim.

That said, however, there are a lot of good companies out there that offer a turnkey solution, meaning they will do the full installation for you.

Advertisement

MrRogersWindows is offline   Reply With Quote