Hanging A Slab Exterior Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging a slab exterior door

My current front door is sagging due to worn out screw holes, it is the original door and the house was built in 1972.
I purchased a new front door but it is a slab door and my old jams are worn out
I have been told that I can get a millwork shop to actually prehang my slab door so that it will be much easier to install.
Is this good advice and how much should I expect to pay to have this done
I am pretty certain that I can handel installing the door once it is prehung.

If it matteres, I live in Rockdale County Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. I would welcomne recommendations of a shop that can do this for me.

thanks, Tom

Advertisement

bonshawscots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could probably save the original door, if you want to. Replace the jamb side hinge screws with #12 3" screws into the house framing. That will tighten up the jamb side nicely. If the door side screws are stripped out, drill them out to 1/4", insert dowels slathered with Titebond II glue and redrill for slightly longer screws.

If you decide on the new door, same things with longer screws on the jamb side. But consider a prehung door. Probably cheaper that having a shop do it, and weatherstripped better, with a threshold to match.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

I agree with Bill... Anything can be done, but by the time you have someone construct a proper frame, weatherstrip it, and hang the door, you will probably have paid more and have a less polished finished product then if you'd just bought a prehung in the first place. Is the slab returnable, or was it a craigslist deal or something?