Great Stuff Foam Vs. A Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Great Stuff Foam vs. A Door

I have a problem that falls in the rank of "silly new homeowner" mistakes. So I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone might have a solution. Here's what I did.

I have a full three season, second floor porch off my master bedroom. During the winter of 09/10 I had a bad draft problem around the door. So at the beginning of this past winter 10/11 I thought I'd try something to keep the draft out.

I remember people talking about the spray foam called Great Stuff. I bought a can and read the directions, sort of. Then I proceeded to close the porch door and spray it in between the door and the frame around all three sides.

Guess what? It worked. I had no draft problems all winter and my bed room was toasty warm.

Guess what? My door is frozen shut. I (obviously) did not realize that this stuff cures. For some reason I thought it was "removable." It isn't.

Now I wish to use my porch. I need to get this stuff out from between the door and the frame. Any ideas on what I can do? And it's okay to laugh. I'm laughing myself.

Thanks!
Mims

Advertisement

mimsathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum mims!

Uh-oh.... you DO have a problem! That stuff is a great filler... and a darn good GLUE too!
You might be able to take an old steak knife and start "sawing" the stuff and see if you can remove the door, then continue cleaning it all off.

DM

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

:yikes: you can use some acetone to try softening it up. make sure to test in an inconspicuous place to make sure it doesn't hurt the finish on your door/frame.

We have all made silly mistakes, I think we even have a thread about them.....

Next time use the clay rope caulking works great and pulls off really easily.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Oh,boy---oh,what a -

Use a thin bladed ,sharp putty knife and start cutting it off.--

This would be a good use for a Harbor Freight Multi-tool with the scraper blade---That's a darn good glue---the door might be a loss so do what you must and hope for the best.

Post a picture--Leah could use a good laugh---Mike---
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
Oh,boy---oh,what a -

Use a thin bladed ,sharp putty knife and start cutting it off.--

This would be a good use for a Harbor Freight Multi-tool with the scraper blade---That's a darn good glue---the door might be a loss so do what you must and hope for the best.

Post a picture--Leah could use a good laugh---Mike---
Mike thnx you just scored one!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 87

That foam tends to be very resilient, and sawing through it w/ a knife will be loads of fun because the foam in the cut will grab onto the blade and make it tougher to cut. It's spongy so you end using more pressure and cutting into the wood in the process. I'd get some of those hook blades for a utility knife, they won't walk into the wood of the door or frame as readily. Shoot a little dry silicone spray lube on 'em as well (seriously, this helps).

Of course, once you do manage to get the door open removing all that foam from the edges will be an adventure in itself.

Advertisement

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door frame , great stuff