Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

Glass block window

I hope this makes sense. We are doing a bath renovation and my husband had this bright idea to remove the 40 year old jalousy window (aka a trailer window) and replace it with glass block. It's an interior window (25 5/8 x 72) to an atrium that is now enclosed. We have spent time in a showroom discussing it with a professional and he is convinced that he wants 8 inch blocks. With the spacers that leaves about a hairs thickness on either side, which is bare wood and will show through. I suggested 3-6 inch blocks across and adding wood and then sheet rock so the mortar will have something other that bare wood to adhere to. He will not listen to my suggestions. Since he is set on the 8 inch blocks, does anyone have any suggestions on what to put between the edge of the block and the wood?Will the mortar used in the glass block process adhere to the bare wood? I have visions of the whole thing falling out.

incognito_wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #2

Glass block window

Why not just buy an acrilic block window. It would be thermo paned and less like to leak, also would never need maintaince.
http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...+block+windows

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Cool

Glass block window

He seems to think doing it himself is more frugal. Very type A with a touch of OCD and ADD and when he gets his mind set on something it is difficult to break through. The only moisture the glass will see is from the steam of the bathroom because it connects directly with an entirely enclosed atrium with tile floors.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
In a little over my head

Glass block window

Is the 25x72 dimension inside the old casing or the rough opening? What's the plan to trim around the window? This doesn't sound that tough to fix with trim and caulk.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Cool

Glass block window

@Ratherbefishing yes, that is the rough opening after the window was removed. He plans to do a bullnose edge around the window. Again making things far more difficult for himself. I think just a regular corner and some matching trim (ie the new baseboard and door trim) would be just as nice. We actually went back and spoke with the owner of the glass block place and when my husband explained his concerns he was told after it's shimmed into place, to use that nonexpandable (silly name for something that expands) in between the flat spacer and the existing wood. Bottomline is we now have 27 8x8x3 glass blocks and all the acoutriments to create this window. When it will actually happen is anyone's guess!

Tags
glass blocks, interior windows