Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

Garage door weather stripping options?

I have tenants of the reptilian nature who are not paying rent, I might add. They're coming in through the garage doors. Went to big box stores & Ace locally but apparently, I've got the only weather stripping with one track instead of two...Anyone know where I can get something heavy duty similar to mine?

Also...I have a large gap that runs from one corner of the garage door across the top to other corner and wondering what I can do there?

Thanks!

a1481155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

It appears that the teacks are not plumb or the track was put in too low at the top, is why you have that large gap at the top.

There is Vinyl/PVC pieces that you place around the sides and top, that helps to keep out dust and cold or hot air when the door is closed.

The trim pieces are in the same aisle as trimwork in the door and window area, or millwork aisle.

I would call around to a few garage door comapnies first and have them look at the door, to see why it is out so far at the top. They can also install the trim around the sides and top when done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

Thanks!

The first guy I had come out said to go ahead & replace both garage doors...Go figure!

As for bottom weather stripping, HD guy said to use a 2 track piece of weather stripping but just squeeze it into the single track on the bottom of the garage door like this:

Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Stop going to Home Depot and listening to them. Listen to the professional Garage door companies that do this stuff for a living. They want to sell you new doors, probably because of the shape that the current ones are in. If they can keep the doors, and just replace the hardware and tracks, that is questionable.

But going back to the door replacement, most likely those wood doors are warped, and that is why they stated to just replace everything, to do it right.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Thanks!

FWIW, The doors are wood and not warped. They appear to be in good shape but for need of either realigning and/or new weather stripping, a paint job, lube & tightening up of bolts. "The 390 Series is constructed with a thick layer of environmentally friendly polystyrene insulation between two panels of galvanized steel."

Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

Sorry, I meant the doors are NOT wood.