Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Garage Door Unbalanced - Adding Larger or Additional Spring?

16x7 Uninsulated door.

The door does not stay up either at the halfway point or all the way up. The spring already has the max allowable tension applied.

The current spring is 130 coil, 32 3/4" long compressed, typical diameter but I don't have the measurement.

My guess is that the torsion spring was serviced for the prior owner and the tech just threw on whatever spring he had on the truck. This is indicated by a service sticker by a well known vendor on the door with a note of 'replaced torsion spring'.

Typically I wouldn't care too much, but I am planning to do a DIY insulation job on the door and need to resolve the out of balance issue first so I do not put additional load on the opener.

Should a 2nd spring be added? How do I calculate size (I know by weight, but how exactly) and does anyone have a good parts vendor they prefer?

Here are a few pictures.

Last edited by super20g; 02-22-2012 at 11:56 AM.
super20g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

"super20g"
Dealing with a "torsion spring" on a garage door -
probably, should be left to a "Pro"!
You probably, don't know the potential for bodily, harm!
Not kidding!!!
Be very, careful!!!

rossfingal

rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Quite aware of the potential. I believe it is generally overstated when the individual is physically fit, mechanically inclined, educates themselves on proper processes and procedures, utilizes proper tools, and follows all precautionary saftey measures.

I prefer DIY 90% of the time. The satisfaction of having a problem, aquiring knowledge, and applying it properly to resolve a problem makes me happy. Cost savings isn't really that big of a thing with me, I would just rather do it myself and learn something I didn't previously know.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by super20g View Post
Quite aware of the potential. I believe it is generally overstated when the individual is physically fit, mechanically inclined, educates themselves on proper processes and procedures, utilizes proper tools, and follows all precautionary saftey measures.

I prefer DIY 90% of the time. The satisfaction of having a problem, aquiring knowledge, and applying it properly to resolve a problem makes me happy. Cost savings isn't really that big of a thing with me, I would just rather do it myself and learn something I didn't previously know.
I understand what you're saying.
However - as someone who has dealt with "torsion springs" for garage
doors - for 35 to 40 years (At first as a "DIY" er)
I stopped doing it when I became friends with "Pro", garage door
installers.
They told me about things that could and did happen.
(Even, to "Pros"!)

This is just meant, as advice!
Be careful!
(Unless, you like the "ER" - or worse!)

rossfingal
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Disabled wood vet

That spring will slap you right off the ladder if the rebar or whatever you're using in the adjustment spool makes contact with your face at many psi.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
That spring will slap you right off the ladder if the rebar or whatever you're using in the adjustment spool makes contact with your face at many psi.
Thanks "titanoman"!!

It will break bones -
If it's in a "bad mood" - it can cause your "demise"!
No kidding!
(happens faster, than you can see!)
Careful!!

rossfingal
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
I stopped doing it when I became friends with "Pro", garage door installers. They told me about things that could and did happen. Be careful! (Unless, you like the "ER" - or worse!)
There is an ability to harm oneself in pretty much every action you take, everyday.

You just need to understand risk and educate yourself to mitigate it.

If someone feels they are not capable of safely applying torsion to a spring, by all means call a service man to turn the bar for you.

Otherwise, proper resources should be provided for individuals that would like to handle it themselves. This is a DIY forum.

Seems like this particular industry likes to spook others and keep them in the dark rather than warn of the risks but then educate individuals properly to ensure that if they are going to perform this work themselves, they at least have the best understanding of the process as they can.

Last edited by super20g; 02-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
It will break bones - If it's in a "bad mood" - it can cause your "demise"! No kidding! (happens faster, than you can see!)
This forum displays:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forummessage View Post
'Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DIYChatroom.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any home improvement task!'
at the bottom of each page.

You don't really need to keep reiterating the point that DIY/handyman work could have a potential for harm, particularly when working with tension in this case. This is supposed to be a DIY forum. This is my first post on this forum and I can already see that it's not looking like the place for me.

I have yet to get the advice I came for, which isn't even related or even mentioned that I would be the one applying torsion to the spring myself, and instead have just recieved, 'ohhh, that is dangerous, you can't do that, you should call a 'pro' for that'.

If a torsion spring was the most dangerous thing I came across today, i'd be a happy man, and quite surprised.

Quote:
That ladder is light weight, easy to carry around, and good enough for investigative purposes. Never did I say I would use it when applying torsion to a spring nor is that even the topic of this thread.

You also insinuate that I would use a couple pieces of rebar rather than spending a few bucks on a pair of winding rods of the right diameter. Do you just assume every DIY'er is LD? Could you not summise from prior posts that I intend to fully research and educate myself before taking any course of action?

Last edited by super20g; 02-22-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by super20g

This forum displays:

at the bottom of each page.

You don't really need to keep reiterating the point that DIY/handyman work could have a potential for harm, particularly when working with tension in this case. This is supposed to be a DIY forum. This is my first post on this forum and I can already see that it's not looking like the place for me.

I have yet to get the advice I came for, which isn't even related or even mentioned that I would be the one applying torsion to the spring myself, and instead have just recieved, 'ohhh, that is dangerous, you can't do that, you should call a 'pro' for that'.

If a torsion spring was the most dangerous thing I came across today, i'd be a happy man, and quite surprised.

That ladder is light weight, easy to carry around, and good enough for investigative purposes. Never did I say I would use it when applying torsion to a spring nor is that even the topic of this thread.

You also insinuate that I would use a couple pieces of rebar rather than spending a few bucks on a pair of winding rods of the right diameter. Do you just assume every DIY'er is LD? Could you not summise from prior posts that I intend to fully investigate and educate myself before taking any course of action?
I didn't read any of the posts. I just saw the word torsion spring and posted my comment.
The worst I could be doing is re-iterating what someone already said. If by chance you are a DIY idiot, as they are out there, it may need to be repeated multiple times.

And I've used rebar 100 times.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

We are 10 posts in and I have yet to be given any information on how to properly calculate the spring count and size needed for this application, required parts, helpful guides/hints, part dealers, etc.

Yet I have been innundated by posts regarding 'torsion spring danger.' -read in a spooky voice. From users that should heed it themselves it sounds like.

Once was enough, preferrable followed by helpful on topic information.

I believe this forum needs a dose of Adderall to keep on track.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Disabled wood vet

Some people would just call the garage door people.
Oh. Excuse me.
If it hasn't already been mentioned.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #12

"titanoman"
Please - do not "innundate" the "OP" with posts from users that should
heed their own advice!
("OP" - If you think you know that - why are you asking us!?!?)
My frail, fragile, sensibilities have been stepped on!!
Oh N0!!
Peace!

RF
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Some people would just call the garage door people. Oh. Excuse me. If it hasn't already been mentioned.
So a DIY forum gives no useful content other than 'you'll shoot your eye out' and suggests calling and paying for someone to come do the job?

Quote:
My frail, fragile, sensibilities have been stepped on!!
[Removed comment as to not cause anyone to have a heartattack! ]

Quote:
"OP" - If you think you know that - why are you asking us!?!?)
Because I know enough to use actual winding rods over dangerous makeshift ones, that makes me an expert? I agree, I evidentially should have just found the resources myself in the first place. I would have thought a DIY forum would have a few guys with actual knowledge to contribute. Apparently these torsion springs are just too scary to get past in order to help calculate proper spring size.

Last edited by super20g; 02-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by super20g View Post
So a DIY forum gives no useful content other than 'you'll shoot your eye out' and suggests calling and paying for someone to come do the job?
I hate to admit it, but in this case, possibly yes. And that's also why I couldn't have a Red Ryder BB gun.

The dangers are the speed of uncoiling and the force of uncoiling and of course the potential energy stored in the spring. The weight of the door along with some calculation will tell you the lb-ft of torque the spring is exerting.

If you can make some kind of brake assembly you may be able to let the energy out slowly (enormous energy let out slowly = low power). If your brake assembly fails it can then become a flying object.

If the spring is not totally uncoiled with the door all the way up this is another problem because it still has potential energy.

In any case, borrow some serious body armor and face protection. And do the calcs and measurements on paper first.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You have anger management issues. I'd help you with that but I have more than a few of my own.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 02-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #15

Thank you for a reply with at least a little usable content.

This isn't my first time adjusting or replacing torsion springs.

I was just looking for someone with knowledge who could assist with correctly sizing a spring or springs to this application. That I have not done before.