Garage Door Track Support Replacement? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 137

Garage Door Track Support Replacement?

Hello Everyone,

The 2x4's that support my metal garage door track are rotted. I'm trying to figure out the best way to replace them without making extra work and ensuring I get the door operating properly.

The pictures aren't the best, but I was hoping they would provide enough information. I was thinking I could simply close the garage door and support the track using some additional wood. Once secure, I was planning on removing the siding and metal track from the 2x4's, use a reciprocating saw to remove the 2x4's, and replace with pressure treated wood. Re-attach siding and track. I would obviously do one side at a time. Is this do-able? Or am I over-simplify this job? I would appreciate any comments/suggestions. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Track Support Replacement?-img00450-20140726-1301.jpg   Garage Door Track Support Replacement?-img00449-20140726-1301.jpg  

Advertisement

Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

If they rotted, that means that water was allowed to get inside the wall. This job means that you are most likely going to have to remove the outside covering, and along with the Drywall.

The door opening on garages is going to be either a 2x6 or 2x6 doubled with a a double or triple header. Depending on who built it, and how the plans called for the build.

Not going to be an easy job. Especially since you have to take the door down, take down the tracks to do the job right. Place Plywood sheeting across the opening to keep people out of there, while the work is going on.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 564

Can't tell by the pics if the 2x4 is structural or a backer for the track. I think your idea will work. Take the tension off the springs before doing the work.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 137

Thanks for the responses. The 2x4's that support the track are definitely not structural, they're not even a single piece of wood, it's a 2'x4'x8' and then they pieced another section on top to make it flush with the ceiling. However, the previous post by gregzoll has me thinking about something else. The damage to the 2x4's is most likely carpenter ant damage as opposed to water. I'm wondering what the chances are that the 2x6's around the garage opening haven't been compromised too. I'm going to remove the drywall to see if I can get a better look at them.
Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ignatowski For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-27-2014)

Tags
garage door , garage jamb , track