Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Track Issue

I recently had a new garage door and track installed on my house and noticed something I haven't seen before, and conceivably the reason why my garage door goes up rather bumpy making lots of noise. In the attached photos, you can see that the two segements of track don't exactly match where the vertical track meets with the curved track. I called the garage door company back so they can see what I'm seeing, and they claim that this is "normal," they've seen this before, and doesn't impact the track operation. They went on to state that these are the tracks that were provided and that they just flush up the flat side (opposing side) of of the two tracks. Is this really "normal" because I have never seen this before on any door I've ever dealt with. My neighbors don't have tracks that don't match and they have the same door! I can hear at least one set of wheels hitting that track transition on the way up. The way down seems rather smooth. Any thoughts would be greatley appreciated!

-Segal
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Track Issue-leftside.jpg   Garage Door Track Issue-rightside.jpg  

segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Garage Door Track Issue

Segal,
If you follow my posts you will find I install garage doors and openers amongst other things I do. There is a certain amount of adjustment (slop) between the upper and lower tracks. They should fit snug against each other and line up. Sometimes where the two flat sections meet, they need to be tweeked with a pair of pliers or the like to get them to mate. That will eliminate the noise you are hearing. The two small track bolts on the upper section can be loosened up along with the larger short carriage bolt where the slotted flag section of the upper track fastens to the top of the lower track. With all three of these slightly loose, the gap can be gotten rid of. Then the two flat areas that meet up can be tweeked if necessary. Simple to do, 5 minutes per side.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
segal (10-22-2012), Windows on Wash (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

Garage Door Track Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Segal,
If you follow my posts you will find I install garage doors and openers amongst other things I do. There is a certain amount of adjustment (slop) between the upper and lower tracks. They should fit snug against each other and line up. Sometimes where the two flat sections meet, they need to be tweeked with a pair of pliers or the like to get them to mate. That will eliminate the noise you are hearing. The two small track bolts on the upper section can be loosened up along with the larger short carriage bolt where the slotted flag section of the upper track fastens to the top of the lower track. With all three of these slightly loose, the gap can be gotten rid of. Then the two flat areas that meet up can be tweeked if necessary. Simple to do, 5 minutes per side.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks Mike. Just to clarify, are you saying that I should line up the two curved sides and then just bend the flat sides to be flush with each other? Thanks in advance.
segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

Garage Door Track Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by segal View Post
Thanks Mike. Just to clarify, are you saying that I should line up the two curved sides and then just bend the flat sides to be flush with each other? Thanks in advance.
Yes, that is correct. Line up the joint and the flats (the back edge of the track) should line up normally. If they don't bend slightly whichever side is not straight in alignment with the other. It won't take much at all to do that, not much force in other words. The rollers then should roll smoothly through that area without jumping, catching, or rattling.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote