Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Opener Safety Reversal

Hi I'm new to this forum and could really use help regarding my garage door openers. Have a number of questions but will start with the safety reversal system.
I just replaced an older craftsman chain drive with a belt drive. It fails the safety reversal test. Increasing the down force does not help;just makes the rail arch.
I next increased tension on the springs(they are about 7 years old) .They are side springs. Started with the least amount of increase and eventually stretched them to the max and still no change.
I tested the door balance by disconnecting the opener and open door about 3 feet and it remains open.
I have done all of this for the other garage door which has the older chain drive opener. The safety reversal on it also doesn't work.

So what am I missing here to fix this problem?Hate to call a pro for something that may be basic.
Help is appreciated Am quite frustrated!
thanks

NJPhily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Have you considered that the opener might be faulty?

Have you called the manufacturer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Have you considered that the opener might be faulty?

Have you called the manufacturer?
I will call Sears but I am doubting that the opener is the problem as I'm having the same problem with both the brand new one and the other much older opener. I figured it must be something alike in both doors such as the springs as they are the same age or some door part since both doors are identical.
thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

If you keep increasing the down force, the auto safety reverse will never work. You have to decrease the down force to the point where the door reverses when it hits an object. You should be able to stop the door when it is on its way down with your hand, at about shoulder height if the down force is set correctly.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
If you keep increasing the down force, the auto safety reverse will never work. You have to decrease the down force to the point where the door reverses when it hits an object. You should be able to stop the door when it is on its way down with your hand, at about shoulder height if the down force is set correctly.
Mike Hawkins
+1

I must have glanced right over that. If the rail is arching there is way, way too much downforce in it and needs to be cranked way back to work right.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Mike Hawkins
OK I tried that.Reduced the down force a number of times and all it accomplished was the door would not fully close. Probably about an inch gap that increased as I backed off the down force even more.
I did increase tension on the springs,moved them to the next hole but still have the problem.
Any other ideas?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Are you dyslexic? Increasing the springs is going to make the matter worse. You're putting more tension on the door when it's in the down position. Decreasing down pressure should not make the door stop an inch or two short. That's a function of the door travel down limit. Disconnect the opener arm and operate the door manually up and down. It should stay in the down position, fully closed, under it's own weight. You should then be able to lift the door without too much strength, and it should stop at about 4' off the floor and stay there. Then with another gentle push, it should travel up and stop at the top of the opening with about 2-3" of the door hanging in the opening. If your door is doing this, then it's time to go to the opener and make adjustments. Turn your up and down force buttons about a third of the way up from their lightest setting. Adjust the down travel limit so the door hits the floor and compresses the rubber seal without arching the trolley arm. Set the upper limit so the door just hangs in the opening a couple of inches, AND then check the cables and make sure they still have some tension on them with the door in the up position. Now your up and down travel limits are set. At this point you can adjust your downforce so the door auto reverses if it senses that it hit something. Your manual that came with the door should describe how to do this in detail. Basically with the door in the up position, have a remote in one hand and start the door down. With your other arm, try to stop the door. It should only take about a moderate resistance on your part to stop it and have it reverse. If you feel you can't stop it, decrease the downforce one graduation at a time until you can stop it and it reverses. Then check it one more time and let the door go all the way to the floor. Make sure it doesn't reverse when it hits the floor. If it does, it's one of two things: either the downforce it set too light, OR the down travel limit is letting the door travel too far.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
NJPhily (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Are you dyslexic? Increasing the springs is going to make the matter worse. You're putting more tension on the door when it's in the down position. Decreasing down pressure should not make the door stop an inch or two short. That's a function of the door travel down limit. Disconnect the opener arm and operate the door manually up and down. It should stay in the down position, fully closed, under it's own weight. You should then be able to lift the door without too much strength, and it should stop at about 4' off the floor and stay there. Then with another gentle push, it should travel up and stop at the top of the opening with about 2-3" of the door hanging in the opening. If your door is doing this, then it's time to go to the opener and make adjustments. Turn your up and down force buttons about a third of the way up from their lightest setting. Adjust the down travel limit so the door hits the floor and compresses the rubber seal without arching the trolley arm. Set the upper limit so the door just hangs in the opening a couple of inches, AND then check the cables and make sure they still have some tension on them with the door in the up position. Now your up and down travel limits are set. At this point you can adjust your downforce so the door auto reverses if it senses that it hit something. Your manual that came with the door should describe how to do this in detail. Basically with the door in the up position, have a remote in one hand and start the door down. With your other arm, try to stop the door. It should only take about a moderate resistance on your part to stop it and have it reverse. If you feel you can't stop it, decrease the downforce one graduation at a time until you can stop it and it reverses. Then check it one more time and let the door go all the way to the floor. Make sure it doesn't reverse when it hits the floor. If it does, it's one of two things: either the downforce it set too light, OR the down travel limit is letting the door travel too far.
Mike Hawkins
It worked! Thank you so much! Can't believe I got both of them working. On the new one it barely takes any down force to get it to work.

BTW II laughed reading about the dyslexic crack. I know you meant it in jest but I'm probably close to it.I've been disabled for 18 years from chronic lyme primarily due to cognitive issues. So this type of project can really test me.It can take me for days and I have to wait for one of my better days.

Thanks again.You' made my entire week!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #9

Glad it all worked out for you NJ. Openers are pretty straightforward once you've put a bunch of them in. But it is easy to get the adjustments out of sync with each other. Basically then the opener is fighting the door and vice versa.
Mike Hawkins
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

Now for another garage door question. Now that I've got both doors working I'd like to change the rubber gasket on the door bottoms but I can't figure out how to remove them. There is a series of screws holding them in but when I remove them and try to pull the thing out nothing budges. What's the secret?

thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #11

Can you post a pic of the bottom of the door? The steel doors usually have a channel on the bottom that holds the rubber seal. The rubber seal is flat with a T-shaped edge on both sides. You fold it to make a U- shape and it fits into two T-shaped grooves on the bottom. The old one may be kinda stuck in there. If it is damaged (usually by a chipmunk or squirrel), slice it down the middle with a razor knife (with the door in the up position) and pull each half of the seal out towards one end or the other. When you get the new seal, spray some WD40 into the grooves on the channel to help the new seal slide in. It is much easier if two people install the new one. One pulls on the leading edge of the seal while the other guides the seal into the grooves at the end of the door.
Mike Hawkins
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Opener Safety Reversal-img_0121.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #13

You have the type as I described in the previous post. Cut a couple inch section out of it and take it to a local garage door company that sells doors and parts, etc. They should be able to match it up and cut you a piece off a big roll if you tell them what width door you have. You want the piece to be about 3-4" longer than the door width. Once you put it on, you will have 1 1/2- 2" sticking out on each end. Roll it back into itself so it is flush with the end of the door. This way if it ever shrinks up a bit you have some extra to even it up. The mice like to eat the ends when they get trapped in the garage. Also the chipmunks will do the same. So make sure you are rid of the critters before you put a new on one.
Mike Hawkins

The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
NJPhily (05-26-2012)