Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door opener

I need to replace my garage door opener. when i hit the button it only makes a buzzing noise that sounds like it is straining to lift the door. It is a Genie Screw Drive Unit. How difficult is this as a DIY project? Any advice?

Frank Rizzo 951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Garage door opener

Stripping main drive gear? Is the screw spinning?

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Garage door opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Stripping main drive gear? Is the screw spinning?
No it does not spin or move at all..you just hear the buzzing sound. It sounds like it is straining to try to lift the door. I had problems with it for a couple months, it would lift the door halfway then stop, then I would have to hold down the button again to get it up entirely. I'mtrying to figure out if I should just buy a new one since they are relatively inexpensive, or if I should try to fix it. I'm definitely not calling a door company, those guys gouge you pretty bad.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Remodeler

Garage door opener

There is a coupler between the motor unit and the screw. Fairly common for these to break, which in turn allows the motor to run but the screw does not turn. Not there to hear how your opener sounds so I can't say for sure there is not a larger problem. Of course the motor will sound quite a bit different without the screw turning. Without seeing a visual confirmation that something is turning they do often sound like they are just vibrating and buzzing. The motor probably is running inside the cover, you just can't see it.

The coupler is pretty cheap and an easy fix. If you do replace it I would suggest something other than a screw drive. A Chamberlain belt drive is a very smooth quiet opener, chain drive is pretty good also and a bit cheaper. Screw drive is way overrated and overpriced.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

Garage door opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrfixit View Post
There is a coupler between the motor unit and the screw. Fairly common for these to break, which in turn allows the motor to run but the screw does not turn. Not there to hear how your opener sounds so I can't say for sure there is not a larger problem. Of course the motor will sound quite a bit different without the screw turning. Without seeing a visual confirmation that something is turning they do often sound like they are just vibrating and buzzing. The motor probably is running inside the cover, you just can't see it.

The coupler is pretty cheap and an easy fix. If you do replace it I would suggest something other than a screw drive. A Chamberlain belt drive is a very smooth quiet opener, chain drive is pretty good also and a bit cheaper. Screw drive is way overrated and overpriced.

Thanks. I will look into the chamberlain belt drives.